Menu
dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Copying email addresses from a speadsheet into the To box.

Hi

With Google I used to be able to copy multiple email addresses into the To, CC, BCC boxes.  I can't seem to do this with the new service.  Any Ideas?

Dennis

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Geoff_Ad
Tuning in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Copying email addresses from a spreadsheet into the To box.

Dennis

There are probably a number of methods, but this is the way I did it in Excel 2007.

As an example, suppose you have a column of 10 addresses in cells A1 to A10

First copy across the address in cell A1 to cell B1.
Enter (or copy and paste) the following command into cell B2:
    =CONCATENATE(B1,";",A2)
Highlight the column B2 to B10 and click on "Fill Down"

Cell B10 now contains the accumulated string of all the addresses.

Copy the contents of cell B10 (only) and paste it into the webmail compose window. Press enter and the addresses should appear as a list on the left hand side.

I have just tried a dummy spreadsheet with 350 addresses. It appeared to work and the compose window accepted it without complaining, but I have not tried sending.

I hope this works for you.

Geoff

All Replies
dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Copying email addresses from a speadsheet into the To box.

Anyone?

Dennis

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi dennisbalsdon,

Hmm apologies for this. I've just tried it myself and it returns an error, seems the recipients have to be added individually.

I'm still finding my own way round the new platform but I've discovered you can set up a distribution list as a workaround.

Once logged into Webmail :

• Click on Address Book
  • Select New Private Folder on the left
  • Add a name for the folder in the window that opens
  • Click on Add
  • Now select your newly created folder (left side of screen) – at this point the panes to the right will be blank.
  • At the top, above the name of your new folder, click on New (which will be highlighted in red) and select Add Distribution List.
  • Now add your chosen recipients.
  • When you wish to send a mail to a specific distribution list, don’t click on Compose new email, instead click on Address book, open the required folder (your contacts will be listed on the right) and select Send Email, highlighted in red at the top.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you need me to do any more foraging on the new platform and I'll see what I can find for you.

Take care Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

this doesn't work - I still have to copy the addresses in 1 by 1.  This is a major problem for me as I sometimes have to send emails to the 350 members of a charity I help run.

Can you have another look please.

Dennis

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dennis,

I'm sorry that that didn't help, it would seem that each address has to be added individually.

I've discovered a little more about this:

If you go to:

• Settings
  • Email

Select Automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses" while reading.

If you already have an old email in your client (inbox or sent items) that contains the addresses you wish to add, resend or forward it on to yourself.

Your contacts should now be stored in the Collected Addresses folder.

Or, if you select the forwarded mail in your webmail inbox you can select the option to Save as distribution list (see pic below).

Or if you click on Address Book at the top there is an Import option in the expanded list next to Contacts. The file you upload though must be in CSV format.

I've not been able to get this to work for me just yet, but I don't have much time to investigate right now, I'll try again when I have a chance.

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

that still doesn't solve the problem.  

I administer a charity.  I need to be able to send an email to a sub-set of our members (up to 350 but more usually 50 or so).  The members in the sub-set varies each time I send an email.  I need to be able to easily copy the email addresses in the subset into either the To, CC or BCC boxes.  What you are suggesting is not practical.

I know that you are under considerable pressure at the moment but surely it shouldn't be too difficult to amend the system to allow this.

thanks

Dennis

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dennis,

Sorry if my advice was less than helpful Smiley Sad

Our new email platform is unable to replicate all of the Gmail features though any feedback/suggestions we recieve from customers, yourself included, we shall pass along for future consideration.

However, I'm aware this doesn't help you in the here and now and wonder if setting up your blueyonder emails to forward to a gmail account might be an option? This would at least allow you access to the features you require for your charity communications.

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
HRon
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Try this old-fashioned method. It works for the new in-house VM, and should be applicable to more-or-less any platform/system.

To create your own list from a previous email:
1. Find a suitable "sent" email.
2. Click "tools" (3 stripes) icon and "View Source"
3. Select the area of recipients, then do a ctrl-C (to copy this section into the clipboard)
4. Open Notepad and ctrl-V (to paste it into the Notepad file
5. Edit if necessary, e.g. if you have picked up some adjacent stuff, then save this TXT file - and keep it.
   As you see, it is in the form:  "name of person1 <email_address1>, name of person2 <email_address2>, ..."
   Names do not have to be present, so you could have:
   "<email_address1>, name of person2 <email_address2>, name of person3 <email_address3>, <email_address4>, name of person5 <email_address5>, ..."
   You can also add a newline between any  entries, with no effect apart from readability.

Maintain it, from time to time:
6. Edit this TXT file for additions/deletions/updates etc.

To use it:
7. Open this TXT file again
8. Do a ctrl-A and ctlr-C (to copy it all into the clipboard)
9. "Compose" your new email
10. Click on "Blind copy (BCC) to"
11. Do a ctrl-V in the little box that has just opened up
12. Click in the body of the email and get on with it   Smiley Happy

And this method means that you can even maintain this distribution list when email is inaccessible, or pass it to a trusted deputy, etc.

If you prefer to create from a spreadsheet:

(A) Open the spreadsheet, select what you want, and ctrl-C to copy

(B) Open Notepad, ctrl-V to paste, ctrl-A to select-all, and ctrl-C or Ctrl-X to copy (to get rid of the formatting)

(C) Open MS-Word, paste, edit change all ^t (shift-6 then "t") to space

(D) Select all, and ctrl-C to copy

(E) Back to Notepad, Ctrl-A and delete to wipe it, then Ctrl-V

(F) Further edits if necessary, then save it  --  as in (5) above.

0 Kudos
dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thanks for your suggestions but alas none of which offer a practical solution.

Are Virgin saying they won't amend the new email system to allow multiple email addresses to be copied into the to, cc or bcc address boxes ever or that they cannot do it now?

The answer will affect whether I stay with Virgin or not.

Dennis

0 Kudos
dennisbalsdon
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Copying email addresses from a spreadsheet into the To box.

Any response from Virgin?

Dennis

0 Kudos