Menu
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Copies of email still being left on the server

I access my old Blueyonder account, either by Windows Live Mail or Web Mail. I run both a desktop and a laptop Since the new Webmail system has come in, when I download an email using Windows Live Mail on either the desktop or the laptop, a copy of the email still can be seen when I log into my Webmail, even though in the properties for my account on Windows Live Mail, I have "Leave a copy of message on serve" in the advance tab unticked. Prior to taking it away from Google, this did not happen
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Copies of email still being left on the server

Sticks wrote:
I access my old Blueyonder account, either by Windows Live Mail or Web Mail. I run both a desktop and a laptop Since the new Webmail system has come in, when I download an email using Windows Live Mail on either the desktop or the laptop, a copy of the email still can be seen when I log into my Webmail, even though in the properties for my account on Windows Live Mail, I have "Leave a copy of message on serve" in the advance tab unticked. Prior to taking it away from Google, this did not happen

There is a known issue with the way POP access behaves on the new system which leads to the issues you are seeing.  This will be sorted once the migrations are complete.  In the mean time you either have to use an IMAP connection to delete from the server or do so via webmail.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dozens of threads on this on the Forum. Known issue, no fix yet. There will be. It looks a difficult one for some reason. Was discovered within a couple of days of the Blueyonder migration.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM are working on a solution NOW! They don't want this issue to persist anymore than you do - or me for that matter. But I've said it looks a difficult one.

Virginmedia.com addresses have not yet been migrated. When the time comes you'll get an e-mail. The next set to be done is NTLWorld.com addresses which we believe has started.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The migration is being done one domain at a time.  Blueyonder has completed, ntlworld is about to start and the others will follow.  It should all be complete by the end of the year.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sticks wrote:

There is a known issue with the way POP access behaves on the new system which leads to the issues you are seeing.  This will be sorted once the migrations are complete.  In the mean time you either have to use an IMAP connection to delete from the server or do so via webmail.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dozens of threads on this on the Forum. Known issue, no fix yet. There will be. It looks a difficult one for some reason. Was discovered within a couple of days of the Blueyonder migration.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Ok so I have to regularly access my account via webmail. Any clues as to when they will look into this?

On a side point, I also have a separate virginmedia.com email address, which I do not log into via webmail as often. I logged onto it today and discovered that it is still connected with GMail. Do I need to report this or will that be transferred onto the new system?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM are working on a solution NOW! They don't want this issue to persist anymore than you do - or me for that matter. But I've said it looks a difficult one.

Virginmedia.com addresses have not yet been migrated. When the time comes you'll get an e-mail. The next set to be done is NTLWorld.com addresses which we believe has started.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The migration is being done one domain at a time.  Blueyonder has completed, ntlworld is about to start and the others will follow.  It should all be complete by the end of the year.

Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It is still happening
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

So how do I set my Windows Live Mail to use this IMAP protocol?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Here is some recent expert advice on the subject. Please read thoroughly before doing anything.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Move-from-POP3-to-IMAP/m-p/3088600/high...

0 Kudos