Menu
Wildchild65
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Configuration instructions and POP3 emails

I have been struggling for a long time now with my @ntlworld.com email address. I have Outlook 2016 running on a Windows 10 machine. Contrary to the configuration instructions on the VM page I am using the default SMTP and POP3 ports i.e. 24 and 110 respectively. If I try to use the recommended ports (465 and 995) when I test the connection I get the following error: The connection to the server was interrupted. IF this problem continues contact your server administrator or ISP.

My second issue, is that I would like to have my emails cleared off the server once they are downloaded onto my local machine. Hence why I am trying to use POP3 and not IMAP. Having read through the forum posts, it would appear that the VM implementation of POP3 is in effect just IMAP. Why offer both protocols of POP3 does not work.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Configuration instructions and POP3 emails

First off I'm assuming there's a typo in your port numbers and you are in fact using Ports 25 and 110 respectively.

When changing the ports - did you make sure you Selected use SSL in both cases.  Note that for Outgoing, you need to change the encryption type to SSL and THEN change the port number.

Just because the POP3 protocol has been set to effectively ignore the DELE command - (actually it hides the mail from future POP3 transactions, rather than ignoring it completely.) doesn't mean it's effectively acting as an IMAP client.  The two systems are different in a number of other ways.

POP3 only downloads mail.  And only downloads mail from the INBOX.
POP3 does not synchronise Sent Mail with the online Sent Objects folder.
POP3 has no concept of online folder storage.

FWIW - I actually disagree with Virgin Media's implementation of the POP3 protocol.  I think they should have addressed the DELE issue some time ago.  And do wonder if by in fact retaining mail that users would normally reasonably believe that has been deleted, Virgin are in fact in breach of the DPA.

A question for the Information Commissioners Office methinks.

@James_W Would you care to comment?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Make sure you do the Outlook changes in the correct order.

If you change the SSL box on the smtp port it changes the port number to 25.  The trick is to change the option and THEN change the port number.

See this for Virgin's explanation of the POP3 situation - 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032

Wildchild65
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for pointing out these details. It now works as VM state in their message regarding how POP3 works for them.

I was trying to establish a setup where I only had emails in one place - ie on the VM mail servers until I opened Outlook, then my emails would be on my local machine. I understand there are more differences between POP3 and IMAP than just where the emails reside, but by my understanding VM are really only offering an IMAP type service at the moment given that my emails will always reside on the VM mail servier irrespective of my accessing them on Outlook or not.

Not a very satisfactory situation, but I guess we will just have to make do.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Wildchild65
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this heads up - I had missed this in the instructions - Now working

0 Kudos