Menu
AdrianGriff
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Changing virginmedia mail box from POP to IMAP

I want to change my virginmedia and ntlworld mailboxes from POP to IMAP. (I'm using Mac OS Sierra Mail.) How are the mailboxes changed at Virginmedia? Do I do it or does Virgin have to do it? I cannot find an answer searching Virginmedia's web site.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing virginmedia mail box from POP to IMAP

You are not an idiot, though you may be old (I don't know). You have done very well and should be pleased with yourself. A good example of how the Forum works - co-operation with knowledge from various experts. And you now know more than you did when you started and so do we.

It might be helpful to others if you marked the relevant answers in this thread as "helpful" and also said thanks in the appropriate way to Tim

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd have to agree with Howard.  Sometimes it's the daftest things that cause problems.  It's not intuitive that a spurious Notes account would cause problems with adding mail.  So you are to be congratulated on fixing the problem.

Definitely would not call you an idiot.

If you need any more help please feel free to post a new thread.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You have to do it, by creating two new mailboxes using the VM IMAP settings. The VM mail servers will respond automatically to the mail protocol you are using.

IMAP settings here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

There are now a set of unified settings for all VM e-mail addresses.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to back up what Howard is saying.

Virgin Media's mail servers support both POP3 and IMAP4 as standard.
POP3 and IMAP4 accounts work differently so once an account has been set up using one protocol, the only way to change it is to delete the account and set it up again as IMAP.  This is the same for all email clients.

Note you may need to enter the details for the NTLWorld account manually.  Enter the wrong password to force this when setting the account up.  IIRC Apple still tries to set up as POP3 by default.

Tim

AdrianGriff
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard and Tim. I'd been trying your method of deleting the accounts in my Mac Mail client and then adding a new account but as Tim says, Apple defaults to POP accounts and I was finding that my client was responding "account already exists." The key was to give a false password to force the system to allow me to set up the IMAP account manually. When I do this Mail now takes me to the end of the account-adding process apparently with all correct data,  but clicking the final Next goes nowhere!

Any further help would be appreciated. (VM's telephone Help line doesn't seem set up to deal with e-mail problems).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It is not for Virgin Media to support the use of your e-mail client.That is down to you and Apple. E-mail issues attributable to VM are dealt with under broadband faults on the help line menu.  Tim will try to help, I'm sure. I'm not an Apple expert.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
AdrianGriff
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm a little confused when you said the last Next went nowhere.

I don't have a Mac but I do have a Hackintosh and I've deleted and set up my blueyonder account 3 times both from the System Configuration Screen and from within Mac Mail itself.  The process is Virtually identical, except that if you're not in Mac

What were you seeing on the screen at that point?

For me when I tried setting up the account  I saw the following screens.

• Basic Account information - in which I put in my name, email address and the wrong password.  At that point I was told manual configuration was needed and clicked Next.
  • Imap/POP Server Information - I selected IMAP - the following was already entered so it was simply a case of updating the password.
    Server: imap.virginmedia.com
    Username: myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk (Obviously you'd use your NTLworld address instead.
    Password: Entered correct Password.
    Click Next 
  • I ended up on advanced settings for IMAP which I left alone and just clicked Next.
  • Finally I ended up on the SMTP settings page to which I entered the following
    Server: smtp.virginmedia.com
    Username: myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk (as before)
    Password:  While it looked to be populated with the same password as the IMAP server, I cleared the field and re-entered the correct password for good measure.
  • Now here's where my final step appears to differ from yours.  I didn't see a Next button, but I had a Create button instead.  I clicked this and the account creation window vanished.  When I opened Mac Mail the account was set up and started to download my blueyonder mails quite happily.

Before anyone asks why I didn't put the port numbers in, it's because Mac Mail doesn't ask for them.  Instead it tries the standard port and SSL/TLS combinations and automatically sets them based on the ports that respond.

For imap.virginmedia.com thats port 993 with SSL
For smtp.virginmedia.com thats port 465 with SSL

When you view the accounts within Mac mail you can edit the ports but normally you shouldn't need to.

Tim

AdrianGriff
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim. My screens are different from yours. Here's my sequence of events:

Selected "Add a Mail Account." Goes to screen showing the popular big Clients with "Other Mail Account" at the bottom of the list. Selected Other Mail Account and Continue.

Next Screen is the Add a Mail Account Screen and entered Name, email address (myaddress@virginmedia.com) and wrong password then Sign In.

The next screen came back with my email address already entered, username as "Automatic" (I've tried this as Automatic and then actually entering my User Name instead), the wrong password which I edited to the correct password, Account Type IMAP already entered, Incoming Mail Server already entered as imap.virginmedia.com, Outgoing Mail server already entered as smtp.virginmedia.com. (What is interesting is that I am not offered the option of entering the port numbers 993 and 465 manually). At the bottom of this screen in red type: "Unable to verify account name or password." Having corrected the data on this screen as stated, I press Sign In

The next screen comes back with "This account already exists". (As it does on the VM servers but not on my Mac.) Press Next.

The next screen is Select the apps you want to use with this account. I select Mail and click Done

It responds by coming back to the Select apps screen, Next and this process repeats indefinitely and goes nowhere.

It's interesting that I have Office for Mac on the same computer and setting up a new account using the identical data to the above works perfectly first time. I did however have the option of entering the port numbers manually. I wonder whether the default port numbers for IMAP in the Mac Mail are different from VMs ports.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Shouldn't be - The ports for email are well known as they've been ratified by the IETF and IANA and have been service for well over a decade now.

The only port Virgin uses that technically isn't standard is Port 465 SSL for outgoing mail.  This was set up but then declared obsolete fairly quickly as the port is used by another protocol as well.  Virtually all Email clients still allow it's use though, as their are other providers who still use this port as well.

Tim

0 Kudos
AdrianGriff
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.

Just an afterthought: what version of Mail are you using? I have version 10.3 (3273).

0 Kudos