Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
kattibble

Re: Changes to virgin email message.

Certainly a privacy breach; if I were you, I wouldn't open the emails to read the comments, even if they are funny!
No public statement? Poor show.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Lynn_in_Dorset

Well, virgin may be aware and trying to "fix" it... but they can't fix the fact that, if I've heard right, the original email went to literally tens of thousands of people... presumably all of whom now have my email address (and all of yours!) If that number is even vaguely correct, what an unbelievable blunder. I get more than enough unsolicited sales calls on my home phone (yes I am on the TPS list, so I know I shouldn't get them, but I do) ... and now thousands upon thousands of people could use my email address to send me spam too. Great!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
fgno1

I  rang them, was presented with a recorded message saying call 0800 052 4329 for updates.

Rang that number, ANOTHER recorded message saying there are no problems, then it hangs up.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
stevegibbs5

[ Edited ]

Add me to the list too (not literally though, as I think I, and many others, have been added to many spamming mail lists now because of this mess up). Got a couple of hundred of emails through my iPhone in a space of 2 minutes, then a load more a few minutes after that, along with a few spamming emails thrown in to the mix. Deleted them all off the iPhone then had to delete them AGAIN off my PC but they keep on coming. Thanks a bunch Virgin. And I have just signed up to Virgins 100 mbs fibre broadband so now I'm getting this rubbish "up to 14 times faster" now. :smileyfrustrated:

We all want an explanation to what exactly has happened, why it has happened, can we expect hundreds, possibly thousands more emails flooding our in-boxes, and what is being done to fix this. Come on Virgin, WE ARE WAITING FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

Steve.

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Jazzyke

Unfortunately it looks like everyone will need a new email address and change their login details of every website log in. :smileymad: Thanks a lot.

They should give us several free months for that.

Spam, spam, spam, spam

Lovely spam, wonderful spam

Spam, spam, spam, spam
Lovely spam, wonderful spam

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Robolovsky

Re: How to stop the spam emails

Just noticed that the address conflict-virgin.net-0edb2e26@gaccountmigration.com appears in every one of the spam emails. So I went into webmail and set up a filter to delete all incoming emails immediately if they are sent to that address. Et voila! No more junk, it's only been a few minutes but it's looking good. Hope this helps everybody. Here are detailed instructions:

Log in to Webmail, click on Settings, then click on the Filters tab and then select Create A New Filter. Put the address: conflict-virgin.net-0edb2e26@gaccountmigration.com into the 'To' box and click 'Create filter with this search'. Tick the box that says Delete It and also the one that says 'Never send it to Spam'. Tick the box that says Also apply filter to (however many) matching conversations unless it is showing 0, then click Create filter.

That's it you're done and you shouldn't see any more of the unwanted emails.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Lynn_in_Dorset

[ Edited ]

Looking good - thanks for that common sense suggestion Robolovsky. Doesn't solve the problem of all those who may have scavenged our email addresses (although i think the only email addresses actually visible are from those people who have replied to the threads/ conversations), but gives me a bit of peace from the constant stream clogging my inbox...

I must admit, I applied the filter slightly reluctantly as some of the conversations were actually very amusing :smileyhappy:

But come on Virgin - not even a statement or mention of anything for irate customers to refer to? It's bad enough that it happened, but much worse that nobody's bothered to put an official response anywhere!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cjb_cambridge

Great tip to stop this, thanks.

I also agree that it has been amusing, especially those responding to complain about their email address being disclosed (which it hadn't), but by responding they have themselves disclosed their email address to everyone!!! Ooops!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
sjh77

Robolovsky wrote:

Just noticed that the address conflict-virgin.net-0edb2e26@gaccountmigration.com appears in every one of the spam emails. So I went into webmail and set up a filter to delete all incoming emails immediately if they are sent to that address. Et voila! No more junk, it's only been a few minutes but it's looking good. Hope this helps everybody. Here are detailed instructions:

Log in to Webmail, click on Settings, then click on the Filters tab and then select Create A New Filter. Put the address: conflict-virgin.net-0edb2e26@gaccountmigration.com into the 'To' box and click 'Create filter with this search'. Tick the box that says Delete It and also the one that says 'Never send it to Spam'. Tick the box that says Also apply filter to (however many) matching conversations unless it is showing 0, then click Create filter.

That's it you're done and you shouldn't see any more of the unwanted emails.

Brilliant....THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
HelpfulTech

Sorry, just had to chip in. No information was released until people started replying.

It looks like a badly secured distribution list was to blame.  It should have been set to only allow staff to post to it but it appears to allow anyone, even from non Virgin addresses.  No Data Protection Issue, no privacy concerns, just a bad configuration FUBAR.

The amusing point is those replying to complain about their addresses being released actually released their own address by replying

Please use plain text.