Menu
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Change username?

Can I change the username on an existing secondary @ntlworld.com account?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... or for anyone else except SWMBO.
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Change username?

You can but it doesn't change the underlying email address. All it does is allow you to use another third party email address that you own as the user name for logging into the account.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can but it doesn't change the underlying email address. All it does is allow you to use another third party email address that you own as the user name for logging into the account.
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the explanation, much clearer than the guff on the Manage Accounts section of My Profile.

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No problem. We have asked umpteen times for this to be clarified in the help pages. Lots of users have been confused by this change username option.
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, I did the change and apparently it sent an email to the new address, with a link to choose a new password etc.

Sadly I couldn't see that email because I couldn't access the new address to see it. An email to the original address contained no link to choose a new password.

I tried to use webmail to access the account but it was asking me to verify the change by responding to the email that I could not access.

In the end I gave up, deleted that account and put the kettle on. Losing that account is of no great consequence to me.

But thanks for your help anyway, at least now I know that I never want to change anything else in this ultra-fragile failing email system until the day I pack up and leave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, you obviously didn't understand my first reply. If you want to change the sign on username (I personally cannot think of any reason why one would want to do this) it has to be a third party, I.e. not a VM email address that you already have set up and can access in order to receive and action the confirmation email.

You can cancel the username change by going back into My Virgin Media and the manage account tab.

Edit if you have deleted the secondary address already then you will have missed the cancel opportunity.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SDC wrote:

But thanks for your help anyway, at least now I know that I never want to change anything else in this ultra-fragile failing email system until the day I pack up and leave.

In the meantime create yourself a backup email address to cover those situations when Virgin email goes down or eventually gets removed completely.  I would suggest creating a Gmail account, it's very easy.   https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
SDC
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
Sorry, you obviously didn't understand my first reply. If you want to change the sign on username (I personally cannot think of any reason why one would want to do this) it has to be a third party, I.e. not a VM email address that you already have set up and can access in order to receive and action the confirmation email.

I understood your reply, it was clear enough.

I had a secondary a/c set up for my daughter, the a/c was called "daughtersname"'@ntlworld.com, she now has her own ISP/email arrangements after leaving home, so I wanted to change the a/c to "anewname"@ntlworld.com and reassign it to a different family member. Logged in as the main account holder I went to the "Manage other My Virgin Media accounts" section of My Profile, clicked the appropriate "view/change" option and followed the blurb to change the username.

It all seemed so simple at the time.

Never mind.

0 Kudos