Menu
jeffgarry
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Change Primary Email Address.

I am also bombarded with spam & I wish to change my primary email address. Why do VM not allow this? I'm sure I would still receive my 'heafty' monthly bills anyway one way or another!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Change Primary Email Address.

As we have said many times before you can't. This is because your primary address and associated password are intimately linked to all the VM systems that allow you to read your bills on line and manage your account. If you don't want to use this address then create another. But it is simplistic to believe that abandoning your primary address or any address that is getting spoofed will solve your problem. The spammers just want a genuine address to disguise themselves. So closing an address does NOT solve the problem. You may not see the bounces but others will still see the rubbish as apparently coming from you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As we have said many times before you can't. This is because your primary address and associated password are intimately linked to all the VM systems that allow you to read your bills on line and manage your account. If you don't want to use this address then create another. But it is simplistic to believe that abandoning your primary address or any address that is getting spoofed will solve your problem. The spammers just want a genuine address to disguise themselves. So closing an address does NOT solve the problem. You may not see the bounces but others will still see the rubbish as apparently coming from you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
bilkoboy
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have been receiving complaints from friends and business connection for many months about the number of fake emails they claim to have received from me.  Now when I email my closest friends we have an agreed code that we put in the subject field.  Bletchley Park couldn't do better!  But it is so irritating.  Many of the emails that get returned as undelivered have attachments that could be as lethal as the Black Plague and I cannot understand how Virgin's servers which must be better protected than my humble - but expensive - home security of AVG Premium and Malwarebytes.

I called today to ask if there was anyway I could have another email address and if VM could delete my ntlworld address but while I have no doubt about his technical ability the technician's accent was so thick I couldn't understand what the chap was talking about. Asians might think they are speaking clearly but to most people it is unintelligible.  Why doesn't VM understand this when they outsource globally?

I understand what you are saying in respect of an identity being necessary for managing my Virgin account.  I am currently paying £50+ for my package and like the previous poster has said I am sure bills and other communications would soon find me.

I am now looking to acquire a different email client (Thunderbird support for Windows is quite dreadful) even if I have to pay a monthly fee for it. Perhaps someone could recommend an  external email service where security is paramount?

Incidentally, Why is there not a direct email link to VM customer services that deals exclusively with virgin media & ntlworld email problems?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi bilkoboy,

Thanks for joining our Community, though apologies for the problems you're experiencing with your email account.

Email spoofing is, unfortunately, a widespread (and currently unavoidable) problem that afflicts most email users. Some email providers mask the issue by ensuring that the failed delivery notifications are filtered out prior to delivery. Our recent change of platform did result in this issue being more visible.

Please read our Forum post on this subject - Email Spoofing.

You can remove your email account (and create another) by logging in to My Virgin Media - just select 'My Profile' then 'Manage Accounts'. Or follow HowardML's advice and just cease using that address, you can set up new email accounts by using the aforementioned option on our site.

Let us know if this helps Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Matt1959
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

changing the email platform did NOT make the issue more visible it actually created the issue that of a slew of user accounts being spoofed with spam being sent to users contact lists.

It is blatantly untrue to suggest  this issue has been rumbling along in the background with people being blissfully unaware. If this was the case, why did users suddenly get their contacts telling them they were sending them spam at the same time that the platform changed.

the spin Virgin Media staff put on this problem is a disgrace...

Goatmasterfunk
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any updates on this? I have an old NTLWORLD.com email address that I never use.

But if I want full account access, I need to sign into My Virgin Media with that.
I have a virginmedia.com email address which is listed as a secondary email address.

All I want to do is to make the virginmedia.com the primary and dispense with any secondary.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Goatmasterfunk,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid you're not able to change your primary email address. You can alter the address you sign into my Virginmedia with though but only to a 3rd party non Virginmedia address. To do this follow the steps below.

• Sign in to MyVM
  • Click My account then click My profile

The email address can be changed here at the top of the page.

Hope this helps.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules