Menu
grumpypaul
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cannot set IMAP on Iphone 6s with virgin.net email

Smiley HappyHi All 

I have a virgin.net account and when I try to set the account up on an iPhone 6s it will not allow me to set the incoming server as IMAP but defaults to POP - I wondered if it was a setting on my virgin email account but do not seem to be able to change this without deleting the account and then setting up a new one - is this right or have I missed a trick - any help is appreciated before I go blind or mad  Smiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot set IMAP on Iphone 6s with virgin.net email

If you don't have the option to select IMAP when setting it up you can use the POP3 settings for the confirmation process.

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Hope this helps.  Please reply back to let us know how you get on.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
JackN
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fortunately, Apple has a database of preferred settings for most email providers. Unfortunately, the entry for virgin.net is incorrect (as grumpypaul found out).

If you have a virgin.net email account then I would suggest Ravenstar68's workaround. 

For virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk and ntlworld.com accounts you don't need the workaround.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

JackN wrote:

Fortunately, Apple has a database of preferred settings for most email providers. Unfortunately, the entry for virgin.net is incorrect (as grumpypaul found out).

If you have a virgin.net email account then I would suggest Ravenstar68's workaround. 

For virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk and ntlworld.com accounts you don't need the workaround.

Actually, it's not just that it's incorrect, it's that it doesn't give you a choice over which protocol you'd prefer to use.  Thunderbird gets it right.  In their auto setups, the XML files specifying the settings can include both protocols, and all the user has to do when setting it up is use a dropdown to tell **bleep** whether IMAP or POP3 is to be used.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you don't have the option to select IMAP when setting it up you can use the POP3 settings for the confirmation process.

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

SMTP username

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Hope this helps.  Please reply back to let us know how you get on.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, Apple has a database of preferred settings for most email providers.  The only way to get round this is to cheat.

When you are asked to enter your email address and password enter the wrong password.  The iPhone won't be able to log on to the server and will then open up the manual settings pages, which will let you choose IMAP or POP3.  You can then enter the correct email address and password.  Remember that you have to tap SMTP and manually set up the SMTP server settings as well.

Ravenstar68

Edit this also works the other way round as Blueyonder defaults to IMAP, so in order to create a Blueyonder account as POP3 you have to do the same thing.

JackN
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

JackN wrote:

Actually, it's not just that it's incorrect, it's that it doesn't give you a choice over which protocol you'd prefer to use.  Thunderbird gets it right.  In their auto setups, the XML files specifying the settings can include both protocols, and all the user has to do when setting it up is use a dropdown to tell **bleep** whether IMAP or POP3 is to be used.

Tim

grumpypaul
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi backtothefuture thanks for the info - I realise that POP is not the way forward for me and the quickest way is to migrate all the mail to gmail - at least I can support IMAP that way cheers
0 Kudos
grumpypaul
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JackN thanks for the info - I realise that POP is not the way forward for me and the quickest way is to migrate all the mail to gmail - at least I can support IMAP that way cheers
0 Kudos
grumpypaul
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar thanks for the info - I realise that POP is not the way forward for me and the quickest way is to migrate all the mail to gmail - at least I can support IMAP that way cheers
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@grumpypaul

As stated you don't have to use POP3 - you just need to be clever about what you are doing.   The workaround I suggested does actually work.

Note: the Pictures below are for a virginmedia.com account.  However virgin.net accounts use virtually the same settings, in addition you can use the virginmedia.com mail servers.  However, I will detail the preferred virgin.net servers where appropriate.

To Sum up, do the following.

1.  Select Add account.
2. Select Other
3. Select Add Mail Account
4. Enter your name and email address.
5. Put in the WRONG password. and tap Next

6. IOS will attempt to Verify the settings, but because the the password is wrong you'll get a warning.

Note the manual setup screen is already visible in the background.   So tap OK

7.  Now tap the preferred protocol IMAP or POP and enter the server names.
Incoming

Hostname: imap4.virgin.net

Outgoing: smtp.virgin.net

Note as stated above you can also use the same settings as me as these servers should accept connections for all 4 Virginmedia Domains

Change the password to the correct one in both incoming and outgoing.

Make sure that for the username you put your own email address e.g. joebloggs@virgin.net in place of the virginmedia.com email address.

8. Tap Next and let it verify the settings.  You'll should see ticks appear after each line if everything is satisfactory and it will move to the final screen.

9 Choose if you want to link Notes to this account as well and click Save

And that's it - the account will be set up as an IMAP account.

Tim Dutton

0 Kudos