Menu
KateJ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send blueyonder emails from my ipad but my partner can

Hi

I am SO fed up with asking this question but here we go....(and I know it's been asked before, but I believe it's a problem with my account specifically).

I am unable to send emails from my ipad or iphone, which has been the case now for the past few months. Email works fine on the PC and webmail, I have been to the Apple store and they say it is a blueyonder problem (as it's a problem on two devices, so must be on Virgin's side).

What is frustrating about it is that my partner and I both have @blueyonder.co.uk accounts. His is working fine on the ipad:he can send and receive. I can only receive, I have tried every possible combination of settings. The ones recommended by Virgin are - http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2706&CURRENT_C...

I have tried these and it won't send emails. I was just told by the Virgin helpline person that it should be port 25, which is what my partner has. However if I try and change it to port 25 it times out.

This all leads me to conclude that:

1. the port settings on the Virgin page above are wrong and it should be port 25

2. I cannot change my port settings to 25 because there is a fault with my email account which has to be fixed by Virgin.

I spent 75 minutes on the phone to Virgin yesterday trying to get this sorted (the guy spent most of his time checking the email on my PC, even though I told him this wasn't the problem) and 30 minutes today (to be told that it's a problem on the server. How can it be when my partner's email is working fine?). The guy yesterday said he'd call me back (he didn't). The one today has also said he'll call me back (let's see).

So - Virgin help people here - can you rectify the problem which must exist on my account? Go ahead and tell me to check the settings, if you must, but I have tried the settings as above and with port 25 (which it won't accept).

Thanks

Kate

0 Kudos
KateJ
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot send blueyonder emails from my ipad but my partner can

Hello Virgin - the person I spoke to this morning said he'd call me back in 4-6 hours. That was 7 hours ago. So twice I've called, twice I've been promised a call back. Terrible customer service, wouldn't you say?

When are you going to fix my email?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

KateJ wrote:

Hello Virgin - the person I spoke to this morning said he'd call me back in 4-6 hours. That was 7 hours ago. So twice I've called, twice I've been promised a call back. Terrible customer service, wouldn't you say?

When are you going to fix my email?

Welcome to the Forum.  It can take several days for a Virgin Media team member to respond to posts in these forums.

From what you say in your original post it sounds as if you have been given duff information both by Apple and by the first line support from VM.

Whilst waiting for a response from VM you try following the steps that I set out below:

Try deleting the account from your iPad, switch it off and then on again and then set up the email account using these guidelines.

Put the iPad into 'airplane' mode (offline) before entering the settings.

This way you can enter the correct settings without the iPad going online to check them at which point it changes them to the default settings which don't work with VM webmail accounts

The full instructions are:

Click on add account > other > add mail account

Enter the following information

Name, Email address, Password, Description.

Click next (you may or may not encounter an error here. Just click continue or next if you do)

Incoming mail server

Host name - imap.virginmedia.com Username - For this use your full email address including @blueyonder.co.uk  Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Outgoing mail server Host name - smtp.virginmedia.com Username - Again for this use your full email address Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Click on Next At this point you will encounter an error along the lines of 'The server is not responding' Just click OK You will get another error 'This account may not be able to send/receive emails' Just click save

It will save the account and take you to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars page.

Next check the Port details so click the description of the email you have just setup and then click on your email address.

Go down to the bottom and click on Advanced Settings. About halfway down there will be the option for Incoming Settings. SSL needs to be ON. Port number should be 993. Click on Account in top left hand corner.

Click on Outgoing Settings then on smtp.virginmedia.com which should be under the heading 'Primary Server'.

Again choose SSL ON and Port number should be 465. Click Done in the top right hand corner.

If at any point you encounter errors then please just click OK, Continue, Accept. This is normal at this point.

Once the details are saved you will need to disable Airplane mode.

Go into mail and you should find your emails in your inbox start to download. To check you can send and receive at the same time just send a test email to yourself.

KateJ
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying Graham (unlike Virgin).

In the end, after a total of two and three-quarter hours on the phone to Virgin, and finally being transferred to a level 2 person who actually knew what he was talking about, I changed the smtp address to ntlworld.com.... and it now works. It was that simple (it still doesn't work with blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com). So, pretty obviously something to do with an issue on their side.

I can't quote believe it took this long and this much effort to get sorted, and we are now looking to change our provider as Virgin clearly don't care. Unlike you and other kind individuals on this forum.

Kate

Stina
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to jump on an old thread but I have this issue a few times a year (husband has the same set up but he's never affected by this). Never heard changing smtp settings to the NTLworld.com domain but it's just worked for me (tried all the other settings suggested on VM's official guidance but no joy). Hopefully no more issues...... For now........ We won't talk about my unsupervised broadband....
0 Kudos
Stina
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

*un-super-fast broadband
0 Kudos
paulscarbs
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hasn't worked for me.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi paulscarbs,

Thanks for posting, though this is a bit of an old thread and there have been a lot of changes with our mail platform since this issue was first discussed here.

In an effort to make sure your post get's the most exposure to us and the wider community I'd recommend you start a new thread detailing the problem.

Many Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
kross
Just joined
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Graham's instructions work!  The big change (for me) was that when I set up my blueyonder email on the iPhone the 'easy' way, I was getting blueyonder servers . . . changed to virginmedia as instructed and it all worked immediately.  No idea why it stopped working on both iPad and iPhone in the first place . . . suspect it was an OS update that I'd installed on both devices.  Thank you Graham.  My hero!

juliedg65
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The same thing is happing here, hubby had a new iPad and can no longer send emails, is receiving them though. My iPad and iPhone both sending and receiving fine. I've tried these instructions but no joy. Any other suggestions ??

0 Kudos