Menu
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 1 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send Mail whilst away from home - username or password for SMTP is incorrect

Hi, when I try to send email from my Iphone - (which used to work fine) -  I'm getting a message saying cannot send mail -the username or password for SMTP.......@blueyonder.co.uk is incorrect.

Here is the strange bit - it only does this when I'm at work / away from home and ONLY on sending emails, receiving is fine. please help - I have deleted the account from my iphone and re added - but this still won't let me send emails.

I have gone through all the manual settings and they are correct (as below)

>Settings

>Mail, contacts and calendars

>Tap on your email address

>Scroll down to SMTP (under outgoing mail server)

>Tap on primary server

When you get there check the following:

Host name - smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

Username - full email address

Password - retyped and no difference

Use SSL - on

Authentication - password

Server port - 465

Any chance someone has a reason for this? Thank you in advance

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car but you can't race a house.
www.davidstallardphotography.com
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 109
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot send Mail whilst away from home - username or password for SMTP is incorrect

Don't for get you will have to change the password on all your devices (each of the e-mail clients) to the new one or it definitely won't work. The password change in My VM only affects web mail directly. It doesn't propagate to your devices.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Message 2 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot send Mail whilst away from home - username or password for SMTP is incorrect

Hi davidstallard,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear you;re having trouble sending mail.

I've provided a link to our email settings page here so you can double check your settings match what's required although they do look ok. If you have Secure outgoing authentication in use I'm not sure why its doing this to be honest. You could try using the Virgin media out going server instead see if this makes any difference. Does this happen when using the mobile phones network and or the works network connection? 

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 3 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Stephen.

I have triple checked the settings and the only one that is different was the incoming mail server was just 'imap' instead of 'imap4' - made absolutely no difference to it at all.  I have tried to send a test email at work from both the normal 3G and also by logging onto the works wifi and it just will not send, sits in the outbox with a red exclamation mark next to it, try to re-send and get the same message "your username or password is incorrect"- as soon as I get home however - sent straight away.

Before I call Mulder and Scully any ideas?

.DAVID.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 109
Flag for a moderator

The other cause of this issue that we have seen is that the passwords have got out of sync on VM's back-end servers. At home on your PC go into My VM and change your password for the account in question. Actually use the same password and this will allow the servers to re-sync across your devices and should cure the issue - no promises though.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 5 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Good evening Howard,

Just logged into VM email gone to settings / email accounts / email- edit and I can't edit or change anything - get a little no entry sign when I hover over anything.  Any other ideas?

.DAVID.

0 Kudos
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 6 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Just logged into my main VM account, tried to change password under 'profile' using my old one and it's apparently too short (been fine for the last 10 years or so) so I have changed it to a longer one and will try that tomorrow - I will of course pop back here to let you know if that was the issue.
Thanks again

.DAVID.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 109
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't for get you will have to change the password on all your devices (each of the e-mail clients) to the new one or it definitely won't work. The password change in My VM only affects web mail directly. It doesn't propagate to your devices.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 8 of 109
Flag for a moderator

Yeah - it seems that my original 6 letter password was the problem, changed it to a 10 character (letter and number mix) on the main VM log in, manually changed it on my iPhone and everything is as it should be.

Thanks again for your help.

.DAVID.

0 Kudos
davidstallard
Dialled in
Message 9 of 109
Flag for a moderator

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Driving me to distraction now - sat downstairs so away from PC, needed to send a quick email - out with the iPhone write mail tap send and. . .. "Cannot send mail. the username or password for 'me at blueyonder.co.uk ' is incorrect"

Checked settings yet again and everything is exactly as shown on the VM manual set up page, deleted account on phone and reapplied from fresh and. . . . . still not sending

To say this is wearing thin now would be an understatement - I have read the forums and no I'm not the only one so PLEASE can someone stop messing about with the servers and fix it.

.DAVID.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 109
Flag for a moderator

@davidstallard

Cripes! Answer me this question. Is yur web space hosted by VM?  We had a long running issue with someone else (bit of a while back) where the password issue was caused by the web space password not syncing properly either. I wonder if that is at the bottom of this problem too. Depending on your answer I shall try and draw the attention of the Forum Team to your further post. We can't let this go on

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos