Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
Eiona55

Cannot receive Outlook 2010 mail on iPhone 4

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My apologies for starting a new thread on this  but the content in older postings doesn't appear to be relevant to my problem.

A few weeks ago I started getting a problem sending and receiving mail to and from  ntlworld.com addresses. When my husband, the account holder, rang technical support, he was told that there was nothing they could do because I use Outlook 2010 and that ntl/virginmedia do not support Outlook.

The lady in the overseas call centre gave him a number to ring to get what she called 'higher support' This he did and we're now paying £6 per month for Digital Support Help

We used that and the issue was resolved. However since then I've been unable to receive mail via my iPhone 4. I can send it  OK but can't receive anything.

The acct settings on my laptop are the following:

INCOMING SERVER

Host name: imap.ntlworld.com

User Name: my.name

Password: *********

Use SSL

Server Port 993

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER

Host name: smtp.virginmedia.net

User name : my.name

Password: **********
SSL-OFF
Server Port 25
The account settings on my iPhone are exactly the same so why can't I receive mail from it?
Thanks in advance
Eiona
[edited to correct heading]

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Doctor9fan

Re: Cannot receive Outlook 2010 mail on iPhone 4

[ Edited ]

Using imap should allow you to access your mail on many platforms/email clients as you're seeing what's listed in the imap folders within webmail rather than downloading them to the computer/phone's email client, pop3 access downloads emails but to use that on the PC & phone you add recent: to your username.

If you're not getting mail on your phone but are via Outlook then check that the settings are the same & check that in webmail that it isn't set to delete messages when read.

If you're sending emails from your iphone to your computer but they're not being received make sure you have the correct email address set up on the phone, if it is correct then check that the mail isn't being caught as spam by ntl/virginmedia via the webmail interface.

Btw for the outgoing mail server you should have SSL set to on & the port set to 465 as you're using smtp.virginmedia.com.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Eiona55

Hello

Many thanks for the advice but co incidentally, the notification of your reply arrived via my Iphone a few minutes ago - this is because I thought I'd try synchronising it with my previous laptop - a pop3 acct and it worked.

I've made note of your advice and will check it out once I'm home from a weekend break

Thanks again

Eiona :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Doctor9fan

Good luck, hopefully the sync has fixed the problem for you. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.