Menu
sheol
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Cannot connect to non Virgin SMTP server

For about 3 weeks now I have been  unable to send mail from my laptop using my normal e-mail provider (CIX) whilst connected to Virgin Broadband.  I can receive email to that account, I just cannot send.  I have no problem sending or receiving email with my Virgin email account.  

If I use another internet connection (i.e. I take my laptop to a friends and use his non virgin connection) I am able to send email using CIX, which suggests to me that either Virgin or my e-mail provider have decided not to play nicely with each other in some way, rather that that my settings are wrong.

I can send using my CIX mail account using my Virgin mobile phone (if that is in any way relevant).

When trying to connect from my laptop my mail client tells me that Mail was not able to connect to the SMTP server.

I have tried to connect to the CIX mail server using telnet and get the following response:

Gregs-MacBook-Pro:~ greg$ telnet mail.cix.co.uk 25
Trying 77.92.64.117...
Connected to mail.cix.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

On connection I would have expected to see something along the lines "220 smtp?.cix.co.uk ESMTP"

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please?  Is this a problem I need to raise with CIX (perhaps blocking the IP address Virgin are allocating me?) or is it something at Virgin's end?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated as the problem is driving me crackers.

Regards

Greg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cannot connect to non Virgin SMTP server

Contact the mail provider.

Here's what I get when I try.

220 smtp1.cix.co.uk ESMTP
quit
221 smtp1.cix.co.uk

Connection to host lost.
PS C:\Users\timdu>

Connection closed by Foreign host means that you were connected but, the mail server decided it didn't want to carry on talking so either sent a FIN or RST TCP signal to tell your PC to disconnect.

Usually if you see this happening before you even get a greeting it's related to firewall blocking rules on the machine running the smtp server.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Contact the mail provider.

Here's what I get when I try.

220 smtp1.cix.co.uk ESMTP
quit
221 smtp1.cix.co.uk

Connection to host lost.
PS C:\Users\timdu>

Connection closed by Foreign host means that you were connected but, the mail server decided it didn't want to carry on talking so either sent a FIN or RST TCP signal to tell your PC to disconnect.

Usually if you see this happening before you even get a greeting it's related to firewall blocking rules on the machine running the smtp server.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

sheol
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Ravenstar68 for your prompt and helpful response.  I have emailed the mail provider and await their response.  I will follow up once I hear from them to confirm whether or not that resolved matters.  Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards

Greg

0 Kudos