Menu
Grace2
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Can't set up blueyonder account on macbook

I recently got a new macbook, and transferred my blueyonder email address using icloud on to the new one. It wouldn't let me 'enable account', so I went on to the apple support page. I was instructed to delete the email completely off my mac and re enter it, but now every time I try to set it up I get the message: 'Unable to verify account name or password'. My mac automatically makes the incoming server imap.blueyonder.co.uk, however on my phone it is imap4 and apple instructed me to change it to this on my laptop, which I have, but I am still getting the same message. I was told to contact virgin as they think it is a server issue... but I keep getting told all the virgin staff are unavailable to chat. Please help!!!

0 Kudos
bynotworking
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't set up blueyonder account on macbook

This similar issue to one I just posted about. This too, for me, was triggered when trying to reset up my logons.

I have not had any responses yet but I have read elsewhere of the deletion of 'orphaned accounts', I hope we haven't fallen into that!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't set up blueyonder account on macbook

Hi Grace

Currently, both imap.blueyonder.co.uk and imap4.blueyonder.co.uk appear to be working fine when I test them.  I can log in and get my mail.

So the first obvious question is, can you still retrieve emails on your iPhone?  If the answer to this is yes then my immediate suggestion would be to double check the password you are entering on the Macbook.

I would also point out that Virgin Media are deprecating the old legacy settings, and ultimately they will cease to work.  So the server settings that should be used going forward are as follows.

Incoming.

Server: imap.virginmedia.com
Port 993
SSL enabled
Authentication Password
Username: Your FULL email address - e,g, joebloggs@blueyonder.co.uk
Password:

Outgoing

Server: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port: 465
SSL: Enabled
Authentication: Password
Username and password should be the same as for incoming.

I would be remiss if I didn't also ask if you are a current Virgin Media broadband subscriber? Virgin email addresses are only available to paying customers and should automatically be deleted 90 days after an account is closed.  Virgin Media do periodic cleanouts of orphan accounts.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.