Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
cozster

Can't send emails with attachments

Hello

For the last couple of weeks I have not been able to send emails with any attachments. Everytime I try to attach a document it comes up with the same error message.

"Internet has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to close." and I lose the whole email.

This is only on my NTLworld.com email address.

I can successfully attachment documents when I use my work email address.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Peter_Li

Re: Can't send emails with attachments

Hello cozster,

Could you please advise of the size of the attachments.

Also, the message "Internet has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to close." is a message from windows, showing that it had to close down your browser, that would not be related to webmail but possibly to a memory problem on your PC.

Peter L
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Battybally

I also have this problem and it appears to have started since virginmedia have upgraded mailboxes.

Please help, I'm getting very frustrated with ntlworld or should I say Virgin Media!!!

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Huw_B

Hello battybally, 

as peter asked the previous user, we would need further information on this. 

What is the size of the attachment you are sending? 

What file type are you sending?

What browser or client are you using to send mail?

If you could advise of the above and we can look to see if there is any obvious issue, however, we may need to access your webmail account, in which case you would need to call in order for us to pass data protection, this way we can then attempt to replicate the fault, and if need be raise the fault to IT

Thank you 

Huw

Huw

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Battybally

Thanks Huw for your response.

It doesn't matter what the document is for attachment (word, jpg, etc) or the size (Even 49.00K will not attach), I cannot attach anything (internet explorer has stopped working, checking for a solution.) I can send myself a jpg using the photo attachment icon, just not the paperclip icon. I have had the same email address with Virginmedia since it took over from ntlworld and in fact since that took over from cable and wireless, but only recently had problems.

I am a bit of a technophobe, but can generally send and receive emails with attachments.

I have windows 7 and use internet explorer. Virginmedia is my homepage and ntlworld is my email address.

I don't know what more information you want!!!

Thanks again

Battybally

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Huw_B

Hello again,

Think you may have given me a big hint here when you said Internet explorer has stopped working, checking for a solution. I have been successful in logging into my own ntlworld email account and sent attachments too and from myself using internet explorer,

First thing I would suggest is to reset internet explorer. Though I must warn you, following this you may loose any saved passwords that you have on the computer, so if Internet explorer remembers stuff, then this will be lost.

On internet explorer click on tools ( located on the top right hand side of the page ) 

then on Internet options

a box will load up, and on the top will be some tabs

click on the tab marked advanced.

Click on restore Advanced settings.

Then click on Apply then OK

Try to see if this has fixed the issue  

if this does not work, go back to internet options, and advanced, and this time instead of clicking restore advanced settings, this time, choose reset, 

after doing this you may need to close internet explorer down then start it back up

Let me know if this works

Huw

Huw

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Battybally

Re: Can't send email with attachments

Thanks Huw for the info.

I tried to restore advanced settings as suggested, however, it made no difference. So I then followed your instructions to reset Internet explorer which seems to have resolved the issue.

All I need to do now is to find out how to add back my task bars at the top of the page, as I lost them all when I reset IE. (I told you I was a technophobe!!!) Lol

Really, a big thanks for giving me the ability to attach files/docs/jpg's to my email once again.

Battybally :womanhappy:

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Huw_B

Hello, 

good to hear it is now working for you, 

regarding the task bars, it all depends on which ones you had, if you are unsure then make a list here and one of the guys here may be able to offer advice on that, if I know of the ones and know a way to get them back I will chip in too 

Huw 

Huw

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Battybally

Hi Huw,

Yeah, thanks for the offer, but I have managed to sort it out now. Just a little trial and error really. I think the problem I had was that the IE needed to be updated, I think I was using IE8 or 9. However, its sorted now, thanks to your advice.

Cheers

Battybally

Please use plain text.