Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Chris_M

Can't send email from Outlook

Just moved to Virgin from Orange. Use Outlook for managing my emails and it works fine for my VM email and our Gmail accounts. However my wife has an email address that is for a group she is part of. Can receive mail to this account fine, but am now unable to send.

Have not changed any details of her email in the account properties fields. The outgoing mail details were smtp.orangehome.co.uk,. How do I get it so send emails for this account via the VM servers?

The error message is:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.*******.com', Server: 'smtp.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Ta

Chris

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Tbgbe

Re: Can't send email from Outlook

Can you confirm that Orange are keeping the email account active?
This could have been cancelled at the same time as your internet connection.

TVXL(V+), BB10Mb, Ph(M)
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Chris_M

I haven't cancelled Orange yet, as VM only installed last week.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

As has been said above, you first need to check whether the account will remain active once Orange has been cancelled. If it won't then you'll need to make arrangements to change it where ever it's been used.

If it will remain active and you want to send an e-mail using the Orange address via Virgin's e-mail servers you need to use the SMTP settings found in the Help documentation:

Email settings for addresses ending in @virginmedia.com

You'll also need to register the Orange E-mail address with the Virgin Media Mail service to allow you to send from the address through Virgin's servers. This can be done by following the instructions here:

How to use custom 'From' or ‘Send mail as’ addresses in Virgin Media Mail

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Chris_M

The account is on a non-orange server, so cancelling Orange should have no effect. Have registered the new email address with VM, and amended the smtp and port info. Now get a new error number...

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'mail.silverdazeuk.com', Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Googling this error number, seems I need to enable 'My server requires authentication'. Changed the smtp authentication info to my VM details and seems to work now.

Please use plain text.