Menu
johngun1
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Can't receive emails on some blueyonder accounts

Three of the blueyonder email accounts registered to me will send but will not receive emails even test emails sent from my other blueyonder accounts.  I've been all through the settings and they are the same for those that work as those that don't.

Please help as this is getting very urgent.

Johngun1

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't receive emails on some blueyonder accounts

Telepathic we are not. We need a few clues -

(a) How are you accessing emails?

Windows/Apple Mac/Desktop/Laptop/Chromebook/Notebook/Ipad/Android Tablet/phone/other

Webmail/browser/email client/

+ versions where appropriate.

(b) When did the problem start? Did this coincide with any hardware or software upgrades or password changes?

(c) If you are using an email client to download the emails is it via POP3 or IMAP?

(d) If you try logging into the problem accounts via webmail, what happens?

0 Kudos
johngun1
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't know about telepathic, but having an email system that worked would be a start.

Main email client for all accounts: Outlook 2010 running on windowsXP using IMAP

Secondary E M client: Android phones can receive at least some messages on the problem accounts.

Webmail access via Firefox 50.1.0

The problem started about the end of Nov. with one account not receiving and shortly thereafter not sending.   Then at the start of Jan. the other two stopped receiving but the first one started sending.  Now we can send from all three but cannot receive on any of the three.  The other three blueyonder accounts are currently working fine with no issues.

No it didn't coincide with any updates etc and the same s/w & h/w can send and retrieve on the working accounts.

Have logged into to webmail and can see only sent messages, no received despite numerous tests.  Failed emails are from all sources including the working BY accounts.

Looked at the settings in the webmail and noticed that one of the problem accounts is set to IMAP4 while the others including the working ones are all set to IMAP

The basic question is; why should three out of six accounts on the same systems be sending but not receiving when they did before and nothing has changed on the client and three sister accounts work fine (at least at the moment).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

1. XP & Firefox

From - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions.

Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista.”

I note that you must have upgraded to Firefox 50.1.0 on or after 13/12/2016.

Do I really need to tell you to ditch XP?

2. Email Non-Delivery

If you send an email in Outlook 2010 and it goes into Sent Items, then it is on its way. If the email service is unable to deliver that email you should get back, in your Inbox something called an NDR (a Non-Delivery-Report) detailing why your email could not be delivered. Note that after sending the message, it could take several days for the NDR to appear.

Have all your test emails gone into the correct Sent Items folder?

Have you ever received an NDR for any of the test emails you have sent from Outlook?

If not, then the emails have probably reached their destination.

Have you checked the webmail Spam and Trash folders for the destination addresses?

3. A Test

Let’s try a test.

Login to webmail for an email address which is “working” (we will call this A).

Login to webmail for another address which is also “working” (call this B).

Login to webmail for an address which is “not working” (call this C).

Send an email from A to B and another from A to C.

Send an email from B to A and another from B to C.

Send an email from C to A and another from C to B.

Which arrive and which do not? (Note that arrival may not be measured in seconds)

Do any end up in the receiving-end Spam or Trash folders?

Do any of these addresses have any auto-forwarding instructions set up in their webmail settings?

4. Phones

What can you see in the email Inbox on your phone’s email app? (all addresses).

Can you clarify what “Android phones can receive at least some messages on the problem accounts” means? Is it 10%, 50%, 1 in a blue moon or what?

When you view emails on your phone, are you in the habit of hitting delete when you have finished with the email?

5. Outlook

I’m currently thinking that your Outlook application has suffered a serious corruption problem.

babandadoo
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

This was happening to me. Someone had hacked into my email account and had set all my emails coming into my inbox to be forwarded to, presumably, the hackers email account!  You could check that if you haven't already.

0 Kudos
johngun1
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We're fully aware of the shortcomings of XP however we're not all a multi million £ company that can change software when they feel like it, although an upgrade is planned.

If Firefox or XP was the cause why would the problem accounts have failed progressively?  and why would only some accounts be effected?

Test results using Webmail as follows:

WM Sent     WM Recd    OL Recd    Ph Recd

A - B         Y                 N                  Y            N

A - C         Y                N                  N            Y

B - A          Y               Y                  Y             N

B - C         Y                N                  N             Y

C - A         Y               Y                   Y             Y

C - B         Y               Y                   Y             Y

No NDRs received.

None of the above turned up in either Spam or Trash folders.

Phones set to receive and display all messages for both individual and combined mailboxes.

All test emails are shown in their respective sent folders on Webmail, not on Outlook

No Autoforwarding set for any accounts.

Test results using Outlook as follows:

OL Sent     OL Recd    WM Recd    Ph Recd

A - B         Y                Y                 N            N

A - C         Y                N                 N            Y

B - A         Y               Y                 Y             Y

B - C         Y               N                 N             Y

C - A         Y              Y                  Y             Y

C - B         Y              Y                  Y             Y

No NDRs received.

None of the above turned up in either Spam or Trash folders.

All test emails are shown in their respective sent folders on Webmail, not on Outlook

We know of messages sent to the problem accounts from several sources which have not been received on either Webmail or Outlook.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That’s a very strange set of results. For example -

1.          WM Sent    WM Recd    OL Recd     Ph Recd

A – B           Y                N                Y                   N

This says that you have sent an email from address A to B and it has found its way through to Outlook without leaving a copy of the incoming mail for B on the WM server. Its absence from the WM server would explain why the phone can’t see it. So can we check the Outlook settings for the B address -

Outlook

One method of keeping the webmail Inbox tidy (or empty in fact) is to delete the email from the server as soon as it is downloaded to the computer which is running Outlook. Can you check whether you have this option set please? Navigate as follows -

File/Info/Account Settings/Select the email address and double-click it../More Settings (bottom right)/Advanced (right-hand tab top row)/

This site has some helpful pictures to follow if you need them -

https://www.unitedsupport.co.uk/fusion/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/119/0/how-to-configure-...

On the Advanced page under “Delivery” make sure that “Leave a copy of messages on the server” is ticked. If it is unticked, emails will be deleted from the server immediately after they are downloaded. Do you have anything else ticked under delivery?

2. I should have pointed out that the test results could be affected by the timing intervals at which Outlook and the phone app are updated. For example if Outlook is set to send/receive, say, every 15 minutes, then you may have to either hit send/receive or wait 15 mins to see if an email arrives there. Similar issue with the view the phone has of events.

3. Address C does indeed seem to have a serious receiving problem and will probably need examination by the VM email technicians (together with the other “dodgy” addresses).

Before referring it on to them, I’d like you to check out the settings as above please.

Your below statement suggests that you are an organisation as opposed to an individual. Can you clarify?

We're fully aware of the shortcomings of XP however we're not all a multi million £ company that can change software when they feel like it, although an upgrade is planned.”

0 Kudos
johngun1
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback.  The Advanced settings page that I have does not have the option that you describe, under Server Timeouts there is a heading "Folders" and under that is "Root Folder Path:  With the entry; "INBOX".  There's no option that you describe on any of the pages.

I've compared the account settings for A, B & C in Outlook page by page and they are all exactly the same which is why I believe that its a server glitch.  The emails are being sent both from our accounts and external sources but those sent the account C and its two sister accounts are not finding their way to either Webmail or Outlook but they are arriving on the phones.

I've also compared the Webmail settings for the three accounts and they are all the same.

We're now 24 hours after the tests were run and there has been no change in the results.  The tests were conducted over the space of about 2.5 hours to allow for such discrepancies.

No, not an organisation, just a family trying to get by on a tight budget.  Maybe "Richard" could spare us a bit of his brass!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

OK. I'll bring this issue to the attention of the Forum Team first thing tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Can you look at this issue please and decide what further investigation is needed and by whom. 

There is obviously something very strange going on with this customer's email at the server end.

I know he is using XP but that shouldn't affect what's happening at the server end.

0 Kudos