Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Elixir

Can't connect to outgoing mail server ntlworld

Hi,

Since picking up a new IP address I've not been able to connect to the outgoing mail server (smtp.ntlworld.com) and can't send e-mail from my Apple Mail application.

Is this possibly because the new IP address has not been updated on the mail server's register?

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Re: Can't connect to outgoing mail server ntlworld

Hello Elixir,

It's possible that your IP address may not be on the allow list for smtp.ntlworld.com . I've escalated this issue to our Server Support team under reference F001583195 and will post back once a response has been received which should be no longer than 5 days. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regards,

Ray Miranda

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

presumably the OP could still send using smtp.virginmedia.com with authentication (password), port 465, SSL on?

Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello Elixir,

Our Server Support team are stating that your IP address is on the allow list for smtp.ntlworld.com and that you should be able to send emails. Have you changed your mail client recently or have you always used Apple Mail? Can I ask you to retest from your end? If you are still experiencing problems can you change your outgoing server as per slated's advice to see if you are then able to send emails.

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.virginmedia.com

Port: 465

SSL: Enabled

Does my outgoing server require authentication: Enabled

Regards,

Ray Miranda

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Elixir

Hi Ray,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I've been away.

I've re-tried the settings for both ntlworld and virgin media as suggested, and still cannot send e-mail through their outgoing servers (they just time out). Although I can receive it.

I've been using the apple mail application for 9 years without this problem before.

As a temporary fix I've routed my outgoing mail via my alternative gmail account, so I'm happy that it's not stopping me using e-mail.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Hi Elixir,

Can you please ensure that the version of Mac Mail that you're using is the latest available version? As Ray has stated, our platform teams have confirmed that they can see the traffic on the servers from your connection, and that the issue must lie on the mail client (Mac Mail in this case).

Thanks

David Owen

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.