Menu
AnnieR2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't add contacts + Toolbar not available on email (blueyonder)

I had the toolbar problem a while ago and then it resolved itself but it's happening again for no apparent reason and not resolving

This is the toolbar issue: I have no toolbar or little icons at the top of my email page anymore.   I used to have a little trash can and a drop down menu where i could flag emails in different colours.   Disappeared!   All I have now is 'Compose' and 'Actions' - which doesn't include being able to flag an email.    It's also annoying that I can't just delete an email - I have to click on Actions then click on Delete.  Towards the right hand side of the page there is a 'View' drop down menu but there is no toolbar to click on there.

And - the following problem also occurs when the toolbar view not available - when I to to my Address Book, all I get is an alphabetical list and then a big red + sign at the bottom of the page.   When I click on the + sign, the 'create contact' box comes up with all the various fields to add name, email address etc - I am able to input all this, but then when it comes to saving it (and adding to my address book), there is a 'Save' bar at the bottom, but it is faded out so you can't actually click on it and save anything.   

Infuriating - would be great if anyone had any suggestions.  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't add contacts + Toolbar not available on email (blueyonder)

Of course it is infuriating and you aren't the only one either. The web mail system is fragile to say the least and browsers that work consistently well suddenly throw up problems for no reason and on certain machines. 

I think you have two problems here. You need to try another browser (but first clear your browser and cache and cookies to see if that makes the difference). The second problem is that you seem to be defaulting to the mobile view of the web mail page. You can deal with this by running in full screen mode. 

You don't say what kind of machine or device you are using, that may be at the root of the issue if it has a small screen.

Frankly I've largely give up on VM web mail. Way too frustrating to use. Even my simple system throws a wobbly each time I log on to check my spam. Life is too short. Think about a move to something like Outlook.com or GMail unless VM get their act together quickly and sort out their web mail. Actually it is never a good idea to use and ISP related e-mail product. Nightmare if you decide or are forced to change your ISP.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Of course it is infuriating and you aren't the only one either. The web mail system is fragile to say the least and browsers that work consistently well suddenly throw up problems for no reason and on certain machines. 

I think you have two problems here. You need to try another browser (but first clear your browser and cache and cookies to see if that makes the difference). The second problem is that you seem to be defaulting to the mobile view of the web mail page. You can deal with this by running in full screen mode. 

You don't say what kind of machine or device you are using, that may be at the root of the issue if it has a small screen.

Frankly I've largely give up on VM web mail. Way too frustrating to use. Even my simple system throws a wobbly each time I log on to check my spam. Life is too short. Think about a move to something like Outlook.com or GMail unless VM get their act together quickly and sort out their web mail. Actually it is never a good idea to use and ISP related e-mail product. Nightmare if you decide or are forced to change your ISP.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
AnnieR2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I'm using a Macbook Air  (actually it all works fine on the iphone). I have a blueyonder email address - would love to ditch virgin but I use it for my business so it would be way too complicated to change. I'll try your suggestion though - will let you know the outcome 

0 Kudos
AnnieR2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Excellent - you were right!   All i had to do was make it full screen - such a simple solution!   I had a MacBook Pro with a bigger screen before so when I got the Air and the screen was smaller I increased the font size so I guess that must have been at the root of the problem.   Thank you so much for ending my frustration.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You clever person. Well done. But you might guess that I like being told I am right. But I am very pleased that the issue is solved for you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
AnnieR2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We all like being told we're right!    You're the clever one - I just followed your suggestion, that's easy!  Thanks again - you've taken a lot of stress out of my life!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You know where to come in future for tech support on VM issues. Don't be a stranger. Your posts are impeccable as is your attitude to the Forum. We are volunteers who do this for heaven knows what reasons!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
AnnieR2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's amazing that people volunteer to do this stuff - and the response is always quicker and more concise/accurate than anything you'd get from Virgin.   Don't worry, I'll be back if I ever need help.