Menu
antsy68
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can't access webmail for my ntlworld email account

For the last week or so I have been unable to access Virgin Webmail for my ntlworld.com account.(My pop3 email client is fine sending and receiving emails using this account but I need to periodically check the spam folder on the webmail).

Yesterday I called 150 and finally was told that there was nothing wrong at my end (I knew that) and that there were some changes being done by Virgin on the server (in the way spam is treated?) and that it would be fixed in 24 hours. Well it hasn't. 

Also it is incredibly difficult to find out what Virgin are doing with email systems or to report a fault or to talk to an informed tech support. Email seems to be overlooked on VM's website. Given the huge amount we all pay per month (3 increases this year)  I find this very frustrating!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't access webmail for my ntlworld email account

antsy68 wrote:

For the last week or so I have been unable to access Virgin Webmail for my ntlworld.com account.(My pop3 email client is fine sending and receiving emails using this account but I need to periodically check the spam folder on the webmail).

Please explain what happens when you try to log in to web mail.  Saying you can't access it doesn't really tell us a lot.

Yesterday I called 150 and finally was told that there was nothing wrong at my end (I knew that) and that there were some changes being done by Virgin on the server (in the way spam is treated?) and that it would be fixed in 24 hours. Well it hasn't. 

I'm disgusted with phone support.  The changes on the server merely affect what happens when an inbound mail is treated as spam.  The settings are being changed from the original default of reject to instead place the mail in your spam folder.  The changes themselves should not affect web mail access.  The above is a half truth with a promise of a "fix" designed to make you go away "happy".  @ModTeam please address this.

Also it is incredibly difficult to find out what Virgin are doing with email systems or to report a fault or to talk to an informed tech support. Email seems to be overlooked on VM's website. Given the huge amount we all pay per month (3 increases this year)  I find this very frustrating!

Note that some of the issues affecting web mail access can be cleared by deleting cookies on your web browser, particularly for example if you are getting a "Forbidden" message when trying to access your mail.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
antsy68
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar68 for swift reply.

I try to access the webmail by "my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox", or "https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/signin" as I've been doing for years to check spam.

I'm getting a blue screen with "Connection error The Service is not available right now Retry"

On previous occasions I got a message about a proxy error but that seems to have gone,   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam - I'm seeing very slow responses from the Web Mail platform when I log in.

Although I'm not currently getting the same connection error message as the OP, I have had this in the past.  It's took a full minute and several refreshes to actually get the app to load my Folder List for my main account.

Can you get someone to investigate?  I'm not showing any significant degradation in my broadband speeds.

For me the question should be this:

Is the issue at the Ziggo end? or
Is the issue with the email gateway platform?

Ravenstar68

MailUser
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same for me - OK using my android phone but unable through web mail on Firefox Browser. Seems to have been problematic all morning with frequently having to try logging in and only getting as far as the picture security checks which when I complete correctly and try logging in I am forced to try entering username and password again. What are you up to Virgin?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi antsy68 & MailUser,

Really sorry about this. I've come across a few similar reports of this and am collating some examples (so please excuse the copy/paste nature of this reply). 
I need the following information please:

• What is the domain of your email (@ntlworld.com, @blueyonder.co.uk, @virgin.net or @VirginMedia.com)?
  • What browser are you using and which others have you tried?

I'll then investigate this further.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
whiteswan
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

same for me as well.

@ntlworld.com

Dave

0 Kudos
antsy68
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm using ntlworld.com domain with Chrome browser, so far I haven't tried other browsers but will try  MS IE later.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Jen has advised of the following both in another thread and via PM

I've communicated with our other departments and this is being investigated. I don't have the fault ref yet, but it is a recognised issue and is being dealt with.

Ravenstar68

antsy68
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have tried to access my virginmedia webmail (.ntlworld) using the IE browser and it WORKED OK!

Still not working with Chrome.

I was surprised to find over 42000 emails on the server going back to 2010 - I've not really used Webmail much other than to check the spam, but I think I would have noticed such a high number. My Thunderbird account settings are to delete from server after 90 days when deleted on client (which they are). Is it possible that Virgin have restored some old emails?

0 Kudos