Making Waves
TotalLuddite

Can receive emails on my Ipad/Ipod but can't send???!!!

Hi!

I'm trying to set up my Tiscali email on my Ipod/Ipad and I have configured my incoming mail with pop3.tiscali.co.uk and this is fine.  However, when I configure the outgoing mail with smtp.tiscali.co.uk, this isn't recognised.  I've also tried using smtp.ntlworld.com (I've got a ntlworld email with Virgin) but to no avail and Virgin is my ISP. 

What else should I try? I'm tearing my hair out!  Any help/suggestions welcomed.  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Can receive emails on my Ipad/Ipod but can't send???!!!

[ Edited ]

I don't think Tiscali (talktalk) allow their smtp.tiscali.co.uk mail server to be used from other network connections. You could give it a try, making sure you use smtp authentication = password, and try various popular port numbers like 465, 25, 587, with and without SSL.

Assuming that does not work, then proceed as for sending 3rd party email addresses over smtp.virginmedia.com

Definitely use the virginmedia servers in preference to the ntlworld servers - they do seem more reliable.

Sounds like a lot of hassle for an email address which could expire at any moment (assuming you are no longer a TalkTalk customer). Best option is to bite the bullet and go fro a non-ISP email address - then you are never in this predicament again, and your email address is your property, not your ISP's.

Making Waves
TotalLuddite

Ok, thanks very much. I'll give it a try, but I think you're right. Sounds like I'll have to get another email adress..
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
TotalLuddite

Hi!

Got myself a virginmedia.com email address and used that as the smtp outgoing server and it works fine now.

Thanks so much for your help.

Please use plain text.