Menu
jordan500
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can anybody solve this mystery?

I have an email account connected to my broadband account (the main email account) which I have had for 10+ years. Over the years I have created 8 additional email addresses for myself and other members in the household. My wife uses 2 of these email address which she uses to send and receive emails on a regular basis.  She forgot the password for both of the emails, so she tried to reset the password but it stated that the main account holder (me) needed to do it.

I logged on to account, went to manage account, went to profiles and I can see the 8 additional email addresses. The two email addresses that require a password change throw this up when I attempt to change the password "

We're sorry this isn't the page you wanted.

This part of the site isn't working at the moment, but it'll be up and running again soon.

Other parts of the site might be working as normal, so try using the links below to help you find what you want."

I contacted Virgin media and explained that I have a total of 9 email addresses and need to change the password for 2 of those, but the site is throwing a message up saying it isn't working. Off they went to try change the password for me and they said they are unable to either.

Both of these email addresses have been in regular use but cant be accessed because the password has been forgotten. If the system wont allow me to change the password and customer service cant, then what can I do?

These emails are regular used emails which are set up to my internet banking, paypal, business clients etc. I need access to these email addresses.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can anybody solve this mystery?

Just a thought to add to the mix. If the address concerned is a blueyonder alias then the password will be the same as the host account. Otherwise as per the earlier post try again via My VM as it might have been a temporary fault.

All Replies
malsiluk
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How did she get to the mailboxes before she forgot the password? Has she been using something like Outlook?

If so, there are a few little bits of free software on the internet that you can use to reveal a password that is only displayed by a line of ************s.

If you can find the current working password, at least you can use the account while VM work out what's wrong. If this sounds like it might work, just Google something like 'reveal hidden email password'.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Try again as it is working now.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

http://www.nirsoft.net/ has password recovery stuff on it, if that's any help.  Don't leave anything you download lying around though.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
jordan500
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malsiluk yes my wife was using Windows Live mail which downloaded all her virgin media email, unfortunately her laptop died so I bought her a new one, she downloaded windows live mail and it asked her for a password (which she can not rememeber) So the problem is basically that she can't remember the password and the virgin media site won't allow me to change it, and customer service are saying they can't change it because there is a fault.

0 Kudos
jordan500
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will give it a try!

0 Kudos
jordan500
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Think this could be the problem? My wife is using a brand new pc and has not been able to log on to her email because she doesn't know the password. Therefore I don't think this software will work?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just a thought to add to the mix. If the address concerned is a blueyonder alias then the password will be the same as the host account. Otherwise as per the earlier post try again via My VM as it might have been a temporary fault.
jordan500
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Graham_A. Unfortunately when I try it is still saying the same message. It's really frustrating because the Virgin Media support team don't have a clue themselves. I was told 'it isn't leaving a digital footprint' < whatever that means? I just know that my wife has used 1 of those email address for many years, her laptop died and now she is has a new laptop but can not access that virginmedia email address at all. Virgin say they can see the 2 email address in question when they check my 'profile' but they can't see the password or change the password. My wife is upset because she has business stuff connected to the email address and now as no way of accessing the emails. Both of the email addresses end in virginmedia.com. I have just tried the password recovery software that was posted on this thread but it hasn't brought up the email addresses in question (maybe because it is a new laptop) and would need to be run on her old laptop which is now dead?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Getting past first line support can be a pain,  but it does sound as if this needs referring to the second line team.  I suggest you call in again on Monday (more chance of getting a UK call centre) or wait a few days for the Forum team to pick this up