Menu
ewanarm
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder email settings on Windows 10 mail app

Hi,

I am hoping somebody can help me as I am at the end of my tether. My father is 80 years old and has got a blueyonder.co.uk email address. He has been using this through the Windows 10 mail app quite happily until last Thursday when he installed the latest Windows 10 update.

Now, every time he tries to access his emails he gets the error message that his blueyonder account settings are out of date and is asked to enter his password. My father has had his email account since the start so I think it is probably a POP3 account.

I am a bit more tech minded than him so I have searched and tried all the suggestions on the various help forums and all the different settings and fixes suggested and nothing seems to work. I have tried changing his password as suggested and this does not work. I tried phoning Virgin but could not get through to someone who could tell me the correct settings. I can access his emails through MyVirginMedia.com but I am loathe to have to try and retrain my father to use web based email.

I have tried clicking on the link on the help page for email settings for blueyonder.co.uk but the link is broken!

I had access to his emails on my laptop through Windows 10 mail app and that too has stopped working.

Please, please, please could someone give me the definitive settings for blueyonder.co.uk email addresses for the Windows 10 mail app.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder email settings on Windows 10 mail app

In the Windows 10 mail app you have to enter the settings is a slightly different way.  This is shown in screen shots on this help page: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=19EC1414-5FDB-444B-B672-D5C2D6C6FE58

Click on the setup tab and the settings tab.

The help page shows the virginmedia.com servers however, these should work perfeclty well with a blueyonder email address.

If you want to use the specific blueyonder servers then amend the details as below:

incoming   imap4.blueyonder.co.uk:993:1

outgoing   smtp.blueyonder.co.uk:465:1

All other entries remain as per the help page.

ewanarm
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham

Thanks for that but unfortunately that does not work. He seems to be able to receive emails but cannot send.

This is very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Does he get any error messages when trying to send? Although the codes in such messages can look confusing they usually hold relevant info. Post the error message but make sure you delete any name that appears before the @ symbol in email addresses.

Edit: another thought is to run the scannow fix mentioned in this thread: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-error/m-p/2881515#U...

ewanarm
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

Does he get any error messages when trying to send? Although the codes in such messages can look confusing they usually hold relevant info. Post the error message but make sure you delete any name that appears before the @ symbol in email addresses.

Edit: another thought is to run the scannow fix mentioned in this thread: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-error/m-p/2881515#U...

Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding. There are no error messages when trying to send and the email was just sitting in the outbox. The situation has now got worse in that no emails are showing in the Mail app and he continuously is getting the message that his Blueyonder settings are out of date.

I have tried all the fixes suggested and nothing appears to work!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As your father can access via web mail this is not a VM problem. It is a common problem with the Windows 10 e-mail app as a Google search would have shown. And the fact that it appeared after installing a Windows 10 update suggests that the app is broken.

Two things to try. First run the scannow fix mentioned by Graham_A in post 4 in this thread. You don't say if you have followed this path yet. It'll do no harm and often resolves all sorts of issues.

Second look at this guidance from MS. If the password is at the source of this issue you may have to comprehensively reset the account settings. You already have all the correct ones - make sure that SSL (with authentication for the SMTP settings) is turned on.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Your-account-settings-are-out-of-date-4484de9e-66b2-46a9-84...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
ewanarm
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. I tried the sfc scan now fix and that said there were no issues! I am entering the correct password too.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've looked at recent threads on this Forum about this issue and the consensus appears to be that once this one strikes it is nigh on impossible to solve. Some of the fixes on the web work for some people but not all of the time.

It is possible that this is a password sync issue with the VM servers not updating so I'd do this first.

Change the password through My VirginMedia but chose exactly the same one that you are using now. That gets the VM back-end servers to resync (the password is held on several servers).

More drastic - up to you to decide. Delete and reinstall the account in Mail. Uninstall the mail app and download/install a fresh copy. Give up on the mail app and use the latest version of Thunderbird which automatically and correctly sets up the server details. Give up on mail clients and, as you say, reluctantly teach your Dad to use web mail. There isn't much else.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's impossible to solve.  Just darned awkward.  The mail app doesn't give you any meaningful error other than the account settings are out of date.

While it's easiest to install a "proper" mail program such as Thunderbird which gives more meaningful errors - not to disparage the Mail App too much but it's still created with Tablets in mind so you end up missing a lot of useful features.  Plus Thunderbird actually finds the account settings for all the Virgin Media domains automatically now.

If I personally wanted to troubleshoot Mail and re entering the settings didn't work then this is what I would do.

1. Install Telnet.

• Right click the Start Button
  • Select Programs and Features
  • Click Turn Windows Features on or off.
  • Select Telnet Client and click OK
    Intalltelnet.JPG

2. Use Telnet to test I can connect to imap.blueyonder.co.uk on port 143.

Note Telnet on it's own can't connect to ports 993 and 465 as it can't set up an encrypted connection.  There are ways to do this for example using stunnel, or OpenSSL but stunnel itself deserves a whole post of it's own to discuss setting it up.  Fortunately on blueyonder we have access to ports 143 and 25.

• Right click the Start Button
  • Select Open Command Prompt
  • Type telnet imap.blueyonder.co.uk 143 into the command prompt
  • If it connects successfully the  will blank and you'll see the following - * OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].
  • Type in the following  - A1 login <email address> <password>  If successful you should see the following
    * OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].
    a1 login myaddress@blueyonder.co.uk password
    a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SPECIAL-USE QUOTA] Logged in
    A1 logout
    * BYE Logging out
    A1 OK Logout completed.
    Note I've changed the server responses to red.  I sent an A1 logout message to close the connection cleanly.  I've also edited out my real email address and password.

You don't have to understand what the response means - but if you get the message above it means that.

a) You can connect to the server.
b) Your username and password is good on the imap side.

We can do similar with the smtp server but we need to be able to convert our username and password into Base64 - for that I use this.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gbm64/ - Which is a program that can convert text to and from Base64

I usually open two instances and type my username into one and my password into the other.  I hit Base64 Encode and the encoded text appears in the bottom.  Click Copy to grab the username to the clipboard. (Note DO NOT Press enter when putting in your username and password.  Just click the Base64 Encode Button.

base64encoder.JPG

• Open the command prompt as before and type telnet blueyonder.co.uk 25  Type the commands below and you'll get to the first login prompt - again lines in read are responses from the server
    220 know-smtprelay-2-imp bizsmtp ESMTP server ready
    ehlo desktop
    250-know-smtprelay-2-imp hello [94.173.103.9], pleased to meet you
    250-HELP
    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    250-SIZE 52000000
    250-8BITMIME
    250 OK
    auth login
    334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
  • The text after the 334 message reads User in Base64.  Right click with the mouse anywhere in the black area to paste in the text.
    bXlhZGRyZXNzQGJsdWV5b25kZXIuY28udWs=
    334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
  • Now the 334 Prompt is asking for your password so type your password into the base64 Encoder and click encode if you haven't already and click copy to grab it to the clipboard as before and repeat the above step to paste it into the command window
    bXlwYXNzd29yZA==
    235 ... authentication succeeded
    rset
    250 OK
    quit
    221 know-smtprelay-2-imp bizsmtp closing connection
    If all is well and good we should see the 235 line above.  If not we'll get a 5xx error instead.  Post the full error message including any VM codes.

Note there should be no need to post the full exchange - I've done so for completeness but in my case while I originally used the correct username and password - I changed the text prior to posting.  I've left a base 64 Encoded version of myusername@blueyonder.co.uk  and mypassword visible to give you some indication of what you should see.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
ewanarm
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello all again,

Things have moved on. We now can access my father's emails on the Windows Mail App by using his old password which we had changed. Unfortunately when we try to send an email it states that connection to the smtp.blueyonder.co.uk server failed because of an incorrect password!

We have tried entering the new password and get the same problem.

We can now read and receive emails but can't send. The original password was set up years ago and is only 6 characters so when we try to enter it as a new password on his Virgin Media account it says it is too short

Help!

0 Kudos