on 16-01-2010 16:25
Hi, im a noob to this forum. So I'll say Hi but my family has been with Blueyonder for 10 yrs.
We've always had good service, and the last few days we had problems with email through Outlook 2003.
My dad could send email but not recieve it, he'd get a dialog box asking for Username and Password.
My dad then phoned Virgin and spoke to someone who changed his password, but Outlook still wouldn't work.
I spoke to a virgin media person today who said Outlook 2003 is not compatible with Virgin Mail, use webmail or Outlook Express. My dad doesnt like webmail, and he used to use Outlook Express but was told to move to Outlook 2003, by an IT expert.
Today I went to google mail and looked up how to access gmail through outlook 2003 and followed the instructions, but left the settings in Outlook 2003 as they were and we got email back to normal.
For anyone that doesnt know, I'll give you the steps.
1) Open Outlook 2003
2) Click the Tools Menu
3) Click Email Accounts > Select View or change existing email account
4) Select your Email Account
5) Click Change
6) Make sure the Incoming Mail Server says : 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk' without the quotes
7) Make sure the Outgoing says : 'smtp.blueyonder.co.uk'
8) Type in your Name and email Address
9) Type in your email address again into username
10) type in your password. > Tick Remember Password
11) Click More Settings > Outgoing Server
12) Tick My Outgoing Server requires authentication and select Use same settings as incoming mail server.
13) Make sure the Incoming Server says "995" and Outgoing Server is "25"
14) Tick both boxes that say "server requires encrypted connection(SSL)". Under Incoming and Outgoing.
15) Click OK > Next
16) Click Finish.
That should enable you to get email through Outlook 2003.