Menu
loz_hurst
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder.co.uk email address not able to send email anymore - receive is working fine

Hi,

I hope someone can help me, my fiancée has a blueyonder email address which she's used for years but suddenly she cannot send from it any more.  I've double and triple checked the settings and they match what is on virgin's website (and what I've found on this forum and other sites for blueyonder addresses) but it still does not work.  Bizarrely receiving via imap is working absolutely fine.

I've resorted to testing it directly with openssl's s_client tonight and I'm getting an "authentication denied (vm304)" error when I try to login via SMTP but it works fine for IMAP with the exact same ussername (full email address) and password.  This is exactly what we're seeing on both her phone and laptop email clients - IMAP works fine but SMTP fails although neither email clients tell us why, hence testing it the old fashioned way.  This is with both (imap|smtp).blueyonder.co.uk and (imap|smtp).virginmedia.com and we are connecting to port 465 with SSL.

I've tried with just the username bit (dropping the @blueyonder.co.uk), as someone suggested that used to work on smtp.blueyonder.co.uk, but no joy and also tried changing the server to smtp.virginmedia.com (which VM told us to do over the phone) but again it's still not working.

I'm at a complete loss as to what else we can try so can anyone here help, please?

Many thanks,

Laurence

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Blueyonder.co.uk email address not able to send email anymore - receive is working fine

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It turns out that there are 2 issues here. But first I'd like to clarify the information you received, as per your most recent post:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...the person we spoke to on the phone said that blueyonder.co.uk no longer worked with webmail and everyone with a blueyonder.co.uk just had to use pop/imap and smtp from now on...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a VM email address (with any domain = blueyonder.co.uk or virgin.net or ntlworld.com or virginmedia.com) that is not linked to an account with an active, paid-for broadband service, then yes, you may only be able to access mail via a client. Webmail access won't be possible and the email address is at risk of being permanently removed from our systems.

If you have an email address with a legacy domain (blueyonder.co.uk, virgin.net, ntlworld.com) and it is linked to an an active broadband service then it should work as normal, via client and/or webmail.

The above information does apply to your fiance as her email address is not linked to an active broadband service. If she does have broadband with us then we can arrange to transfer the email account(s) over to that, to prevent them from being disabled. I shall send you a PM about this in a moment.

And now to the initial problem - the SMTP check on that email address fails and does require escalation to I.T. However, we need the email to be on an active account in order to do this. So we'll need to sort out the email/account problem first and then proceed on to the fix for the VM304 error.

Hope that makes sense Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder.co.uk email address not able to send email anymore - receive is working fine

Hi, that specific error has been reported before and may need action by the VM team to resolve. @Jen_A is an expert on these issues. I'm sure she will pick this up in due course if she is on shift, otherwise another team member will get to it.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are a couple of further questions that need answering. Is the blueyonder address in question associated with a live VM broadband account and is it accessed regularly by an e-mail client or web mail? Can you please also check that the address is still accessible (send and receive) on web mail. Vital information to help VM sort this.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi loz_hurst,

Thanks for coming to us for help with this, welcome to our Community Smiley Happy

As you can see our Forum superusers are very familiar with this type of issue and, if it is what we suspect, it can be fairly easily remedied by our I.T. department.
I shall need to take a quick look at your SMTP logs to confirm this and have requested details of the affected email address via PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page). I'll get this matter progressed as soon as I get your reply Smiley Happy

@Graham_A - thanks for the alert Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
loz_hurst
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Yes it is associated with her brother's VM account (we have our own but it's much more recent that blueyonder Smiley Wink ).  As I said receiving is working fine and it's permanently synced up to her phone - if I send her an email her phone "dings" almost instantly to say it's been received so it is checking.  She also uses her laptop to check it, I think Windows Live Mail (or whatever it's called nowadays).

Webmail doesn't work with this account, we did ring VM technical support up a couple of years ago about that but the person we spoke to on the phone said that blueyonder.co.uk no longer worked with webmail and everyone with a blueyonder.co.uk just had to use pop/imap and smtp from now on.  Was that advice not right?  Could that be related?  We've had no other trouble with it until sending stopped working.

Jen's asked for the account details in a PM, so hopefully that'll get it sorted quickly!

Thanks again,

Laurence

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It turns out that there are 2 issues here. But first I'd like to clarify the information you received, as per your most recent post:

...the person we spoke to on the phone said that blueyonder.co.uk no longer worked with webmail and everyone with a blueyonder.co.uk just had to use pop/imap and smtp from now on...

If you have a VM email address (with any domain = blueyonder.co.uk or virgin.net or ntlworld.com or virginmedia.com) that is not linked to an account with an active, paid-for broadband service, then yes, you may only be able to access mail via a client. Webmail access won't be possible and the email address is at risk of being permanently removed from our systems.

If you have an email address with a legacy domain (blueyonder.co.uk, virgin.net, ntlworld.com) and it is linked to an an active broadband service then it should work as normal, via client and/or webmail.

The above information does apply to your fiance as her email address is not linked to an active broadband service. If she does have broadband with us then we can arrange to transfer the email account(s) over to that, to prevent them from being disabled. I shall send you a PM about this in a moment.

And now to the initial problem - the SMTP check on that email address fails and does require escalation to I.T. However, we need the email to be on an active account in order to do this. So we'll need to sort out the email/account problem first and then proceed on to the fix for the VM304 error.

Hope that makes sense Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i see that forum ... has been updated email notifications s to my blueyonder account are lagged 24 - 48 hours. That may be a blueyonder issue or it may be the forum ?

this is one of only a a few sties that I still use with the blueyonder address

0 Kudos
loz_hurst
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Slightly confused how this email address became disassociated from it's VM account but that is obviously an account-specific issue so I think it's best we deal with that privately.  I've sent you a PM to try and sort that out, so we can sort out the other SMTP issue.

Thanks for your help,

Laurence

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laurence,

Our conversation has evolved away from this board due to some personal information that we wished to keep private.

But I'm just posting an update on here so that anyone following this thread can have visibility of the outcome.

Basically, the email address in question is experiencing the VM304 error but is on an old, inactive, account.

The resolution, for anyone else in a similar situation, is to get the email addresses moved over to an active Virgin Media account (with the account holders full permission) and then escalate the VM304 error to I.T. for resolution.

Your choice in this matter is private but thank you for your co-operation and  I wish you well for the New Year Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

loz_hurst
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jen,

I think we did manage to get to the bottom of how the email address became unlinked from the VM account but, as you said, for complicated personal reasons I've not been able to get the permission of the owner of the VM account at the address this email address was originally associated with to move it to my active VM account at my home address (where the email address's user now lives).

Thanks everyone for your collective help,

Laurence