Menu
Highlighted
Sue_Marsh
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder Email

I am helping older relative with Blueyonder email problem.  All was working fine on Acer tablet until 4 days ago when a message that she did not take a note of appeared on the screen and since then no new emails received (I have sent several tests).  She could not remember password so I changed this via her Profile and have deleted mailbox and tried to reinstall however just keep getting error messages.  Am trying to install on my iPad which I understand better than Acer but am getting username or password is incorrect message.  Does anyone know of anything that has changed?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder Email

Who could not want to help here? So I will try. But I have to say that detail is a bit thin on the ground but I do have some idea of what might be going on.

First I want to know if your older relative is a current paying VM broadband customer. If yes proceed with this initial advice. If no post back immediately.

Change the password for the address in My Virginmedia. advice on how to do this is here:

.https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Make sure you use the the new unified VM server settings etc:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Sue_Marsh
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for such quick reply.  Yes she is a VM Broadband (and TV and phone) customer and the link you provided is where I changed password earlier today.  I am also a VM customer but do not use my VM email address.

I have tried setting up on iPad and Outlook.  I am not terribly techy (as you can probably tell!) but I know enough to do this, obviously with my own accounts I know the username and passwords I am using are correct and have taken the settings (SMTP/IMAP) from the Virgin Media site.  I am slight confused about IMAP v IMAP4 though - have tried with both settings.

Please let me know what other info would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What error messages are you seeing? Just explain exactly what is not happening in Outlook. Does the test message work.

If you want to try something techy in Outlook look at this for turning on Outlook logging. The result might help us.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/32371...

but don't feel you have to. It is a bit complicated

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Sue_Marsh
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, in Outlook I don't get as far as test message - I get something went wrong and Outlook couldn't set up.  

On iPad I get the username or password for imap.virginmedia.com is incorrect.

Have also tried on Virgin Media email and get the message Validation of server imap.blueyonder.co.uk failed due to invalid credentials

To (non techy) me it is all pointing to using the wrong username and/or password but I can log on to the Virgin Media site (to view account, etc.) and am sure I read somewhere that details for this are the same as for email although I have read so much on this in last 24 hours I may be getting confused.

In the email on Virgin Media site a new virginmedia email address has appeared - we can see welcome message, as far as we know we did not set this up or ask for it.  This is why I originally thought maybe something has changed and blueyonder email was being phased out.  Am tempted to move aunt over to this new email address but she will be reluctant - does not like anything new Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Don't do any of that. The mystery deepens. If your relative did not set up the new address then who did? I think the account may have been locked because VM have detected that it is sending spam and/or it has been compromised.

I'm going to ask the Forum Team to look at the address for you. They'll need to send you a private message to gather information that mustn't appear on a public forum site like this, at the same time that they respond here. Please be a little patient. Nothing will happen till Monday now.

@ModTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Sue_Marsh
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Big thank you, I will get back to having a weekend and wait till Monday.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning Sue_Marsh,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I appreciate your query in regards to the email account for a relative of yours.

Can you sign into the email account through Webmail?

I would love to help further, however due to security we would need to speak directly to the account holder. If you can either get them to create a profile on here and send me a message please or they would need to call us.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos