Menu
AKUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Blueyonder Email Stopped Working

Hi folks,

This evening I was trying to configure my email on a new PC, whilst i'm in Canada. I downloaded eM Client and was having difficulty getting the settings to work, despite following the guidelines found on the VM site. I eventually got the IMAP working okay but, the SMTP wouldn't work, no matter what I tried. Then that too ceased working after restarted the program. Eventually I gave up and downloaded Mailbird Lite client.

After installing that, I was getting the same issue with Mailbird Lite, despite entering all the correct information, with regard to server name, port numbers, encryption and my Username/Password. to confound matters, for some unknown reason, the email stopped working on my iPhone too!!??

Now I'm unable to access email by anything other than a web browser. Anyone shed some light on this, as I don't get why it's all decided to crap out, on both the PC and the iPhone??

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blueyonder Email Stopped Working

blue yonder is an old, badly supported , badly integrated service. You are seriously better advised to ditch it and get gmail or similar- much more reliable and much easier to set up.

if you must get it to work for now, then use smtp.virginmedia.com and pop3.virginmedia.com as the servers, in place of the blueyonder ones - they should work

ports 995 for in, with SSL, 465 for out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Repeated (and failing) attempts to connect to a UK-based email service from an area of the world (North America) where hacking/spamming is an industry, is likely to trigger even the most inept of hacking prevention defences (such as Virginmedia’s?).

You may well find that the IP address you are using is now blocked, which would explain why your phone access (if it’s via wi-fi connected to that IP) is also blocked.

Suggest you validate the setup of your PC and chosen email client using a local email service provider (eg new gmail account as cybmole suggests) before attempting to establish an intercontinental connection. Check your current IP against published blacklists before proceeding.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

blue yonder is an old, badly supported , badly integrated service. You are seriously better advised to ditch it and get gmail or similar- much more reliable and much easier to set up.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the term badly integrated. Also while the domain itself is old, the servers managing it are ultimately the same as the ones for Virginmedia.com, NTLWorld.com AND Virgin.net.   At the end of the day blueyonder works for a great many people.  Myself included.  The only gripe I generally have is that Virgin have left the legacy settings in place on the proxy servers.  That and support from 1st line is relatively lacking.

if you must get it to work for now, then use smtp.virginmedia.com and pop3.virginmedia.com as the servers, in place of the blueyonder ones - they should work

ports 995 for in, with SSL, 465 for out

@AKUK It helps to know what precise error messages you are getting when trying to connect.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

cybmole wrote:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the term badly integrated. ...

Ravenstar68

ok - i think that was true before the migration though. There was stuff that was left broken in the previous move to google.like the 3 aliases per mailbox which we had with the original blueyonder Those became uneditable/ unusable ?

the blueyonder email I have to keep - as it's the main one on the account that we are not allowed to change - seems ok with the virginmedia servers

0 Kudos
AKUK
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi folks,

God knows what happened but it all started working again last night. Both IMAP and SMTP are working fine on the PC and my iPhone. Definitely a ghost in the system somewhere but, I'm glad it's exorcised itself lol. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@AKUK - Glad it's working ok now - If you need any more assistance please feel free to post back.  Have a Happy New Year though.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos