Menu
bynotworking
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

BlueYonder password not recognised

For last 2 weeks I have experienced issues with my Blueyonder email account in that it says my username or password is incorrect. I Have not changed them!!!!

I have read up on numerous forums the email settings and made changes but to no avail. I even doubted myself that I had changed my password so decided to try to reset it.

Forgot my password - username not recognised - i.e. rbranson@blueyonder.co.uk ..so NO!

Forgot my username - need an account number (am no longer a virgin customer) so NO!

the Virgin Media help site is rubbish...keeps me going back in loops above. No one answers the phone either.

I cannot access my mails on any device now and this is my primary email (had this for over 15 years) and have no idea where to go or what to do to get this resolved.

I have noiw speanty numerous evenings keep retrying. Can anyone help???? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: BlueYonder password not recognised

First question and after you have answered this we'll take it further. Do you have a live, paid for Virgin Media Broadband account?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You have inadvertently stated the cause of your problems in your post.

You state that you don't have an account number as you are no longer a customer.

There is you answer - in order to maintain access to the email account you need to be a customer.

The periodic process run by VM to close down old accounts would appear to have caught up with you.
bynotworking
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Finally got through to VM help on this...had to call late as low queues.

Yes is a bit of strange one, my account was closed 2 years ago and was never advised of the blue yonder account being closed. I have certainly had no mails from Virgin advising that the accounts would be closed. now have the nightmare of changing all my online accounts for house, work, bills etc etc etc to a new email address.!!!! Had the email address for nearly 20 years now!

The strange thing is that when I tried changing my setting on any device it got 'locked out' with 'incorrect username or password' but I found an old PC where my mail does still work. Spoke with VM help and they can't update or change my password but said it was 'active' . All my linked accounts for all my family have been de-activated!!

So...looks like Virgin have secretly closed my account.

They have changed my password in background so I can't access it if i try to log in on a new device.

Currently only works on old devices ....so morale is  DO NOT UPDATE ANY SETTINGS OR YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT!!!!

Feels like I've been divorced and locked out of my house while i went to put the bins out!!

VERY SNEAKY VIRGIN!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media e-mail addresses are provided free for PAYING customers.  Once you leave Virgin the account is supposed to close down after 90 days.  Count yourself lucky you had two years.  So no Virgin aren't being sneaky if anything they're being lax in not closing down your account before now.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No sneakiness going on. Mail takes space, takes servers, cost money. It may be a free service for customers, but costs money to run. Ultimately, current customers will be paying for the continued upkeep of the emails of former customers.

The tip is never use an ISP email. When you leave them it is likely it will close at some point. I did that back in 1998. Never again. Been with virgin for a few years and never used their email account. Will always stick to non ISP accounts now.