Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Elminster

Blocking E-mail attachments?

You've got to be joking!! Now when I want to send myself files I've got to jump through hoops to get it past the filter? Blocking the files when zipped up is a bit draconian, too. Please, oh please, tell me that you are also going to ban html format emails, and emails containing hyperlinks? They too can contain/link to *potential viruses* (taking that phrase from the help page). Now, it would not be so bad if the 'offending' email got quarantined and the user was informed with a way of being able to retrieve the email. It would also be nice if there was an 'advanced' option to turn off this filtering. With the old system, all emails are scanned for viruses (and spam etc) and get blocked if one is detected. So, why the move to a Gmail system and the blanket ban on all these attachment types? Sounds to me like someone either doesn't trust their virus scanning, or doesn't know much about the email system they are running (hence the move to a Gmail system , so it becomes someone elses problem!?) It's such a shame that a minority of people, who probably shouldn't be left alone within 50feet of a computer, force ISPs to take such measures. It's also a shame that the ISPs simply ban everything, rather than creating an 'advanced user' menu to allow the user enable/disable some of the restrictions should they choose to do so.
Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Re: Blocking E-mail attachments?

Hi Elminster,

We're sorry that you're not happy with the way in which the new email system handles some attatchments.  I'm afraid that at present there are no plans to change this.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
RayFol

What I find totally unacceptable is that the mail with the blocked attachment disappears into a black hole. Neither the sender nor the recipient appears to  gets any notification that the mail has been blocked. 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

RayFol wrote:

What I find totally unacceptable is that the mail with the blocked attachment disappears into a black hole. Neither the sender nor the recipient appears to  gets any notification that the mail has been blocked. 

If I try to sent a blocked attachment (e.g. an exe file) to my Virginmedia.com address I get the following Delivery Faliure

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):

Failed Recipient: xxx@virginmedia.com

Reason: Remote host said: 552 5.7.0 review our attachment guidelines. l25si12219100wbl.31

I get a similar error message if I send a blocked attachment from my Virginmedia.com address to another (non-Google based) e-mail address

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:   

Sent: 09/05/2010 15:15

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'xxx@xxx.com' on 09/05/2010 15:15

552 5.7.0 review our attachment guidelines. u8sm32946836wbc.23

Both of those are sent via POP/IMAP - the webmail interface won't even let you attach/send a blocked attachement in the first place

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
RayFol

I don't see that message when I send via smtp.ntlworld.com (using the updated settings).

I do see a similar message when I send from my netbook which is configured to use smpt.gmail.com so that I can use it when connected via another ISP.

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

Sending a zip attachment (containing a .exe or similar file) to an ntlworld.com address returns me a message saying (amongst other things)

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

host aspmx2.googlemail.com [209.85.135.27]: 552-5.7.0 Our system detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please

552-5.7.0 visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 to

552 5.7.0 review our attachment guidelines. u9si17878632muf.32

The terms and conditions there are clear about what is allowed.

The filter is of the simple type that many corporate entities use - that is renaming the .zip file to .txt and telling the recipient to rename it back fixes it. So does renaming the internal content files. Also you are allowed to password protect your zip file so long as it does not contain another zip file.

Nobody's filter seems to stop 7-zip files!

However, if my terms and conditions are as per Virgin Media, it is unfortunate that I am referred to Google's T&C. It should ideally point to http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=538DCD2C-68ED-4015-BFA4-2573F1ED6312 (which says much the same thing.)

Eric

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
RayFol

Eric_T

Where are you sending  from (ie which smtp server are you using) when you get the message?

I agree that the restrictions are easy to get round for a knowledgable user, but only if the sender and/or the recipient knows that the message has been rejected.

Please use plain text.