Menu
dcrouch46
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Block a blueyonder email account

Hi. I no longer use my blueyonder email address, but my wife still uses hers.  I understand from reading various forum posts that I cannot delete my main email account but surely I can set it as closed or as non active to prevent anyone sending my old address an email, then at least they will know that I will not see /read it.  I do not want to use the "forwarding" facility as most of what arrives in the old email is spam and I only changed to gmail because virgin spam filters were not effective in stopping it.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Block a blueyonder email account

You can set an out of office reply, so that people will know not to bother emailing it any longer.

Or, you could stop logging into it for 150 days and it would be permanently deleted. However, if your wife's email is an alias attached to the same BY parent account as yours, that wouldn't work as the account would not go into idle for the amount of time required (and she'd lose her email too.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it's the main address the first thing you can do is use a different email address (note the address must not be another Virgin media email address) as your username.

This will cause problems with webmail access for that email address, but as you want it closed anyway, that's a non-issue.

To change the username go to my.virginmedia.com and log in using your main blueyonder address, and click profile

change the username to the email address you want to use - e.g. joebloggs@gmail.com (obviously it must be an active email address of yours).

Also, you'll need to change the contact email on the same page.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can set an out of office reply, so that people will know not to bother emailing it any longer.

Or, you could stop logging into it for 150 days and it would be permanently deleted. However, if your wife's email is an alias attached to the same BY parent account as yours, that wouldn't work as the account would not go into idle for the amount of time required (and she'd lose her email too.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it's the main address the first thing you can do is use a different email address (note the address must not be another Virgin media email address) as your username.

This will cause problems with webmail access for that email address, but as you want it closed anyway, that's a non-issue.

To change the username go to my.virginmedia.com and log in using your main blueyonder address, and click profile

change the username to the email address you want to use - e.g. joebloggs@gmail.com (obviously it must be an active email address of yours).

Also, you'll need to change the contact email on the same page.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos