Menu
FreearBros
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Blacklisted IP

Hi there

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I had my website hacked and subsequently my IP has been blacklisted I've used MX Toolbox to see where I'm blacklisted but how do I get Virgin whitelist it again I can't get any sense from tech support

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blacklisted IP

What website are you talking about, unless VM are the ones hosting the web server they can't whitelist you, if your IP has been blocked on a web server then you need to contact whoever runs that server and get them to investigate and remove the block

0 Kudos
FreearBros
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Shane

That was my first port of call, my host told me that the ISP whitelists seeing as they are the ones who block in the first place.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

FreearBros wrote:

Thanks Shane

That was my first port of call, my host told me that the ISP whitelists seeing as they are the ones who block in the first place.

Actually they are not.

The blacklists that MXToolbox looks up are email blacklists.  They are used solely for that purpose and in a way that does not affect normal email sends through a normal email service.  Nor do they affect the ability to connect to websites.

There are also blacklists that everyone SHOULD find themselves on.

Spamhaus PBL
SORBS DUHL

Because these list IP's that are not expected to be sending email directly to a Mail Exchanger (For more information see here - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...)

If your issue is related to email and you are blacklisted then you contact the blacklist provider themselves to get the listing removed.  In many cases if the blacklist is a real-time blacklist, the listing may expire for example UCE Protect listings expire after 7 days and Spamcops expire after 24 hours.

If your issue is not email related for example you are blocked from accessing a website.  Then you contact the website owner.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
FreearBros
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your detailed response Ravenstar, ok so the I'm on 3 lists and 2 of them are the ones you quoted so hopefully just apply to other one to be removed.

It is only email related I'm not blocked from accessfing any sites.

Many Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

When you say it's email related - what exactly is happening?

0 Kudos
FreearBros
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I'm getting a lot mail marked SPAM and that's what it is, from load of people/ compamies I don't know, I get the odd one that I know marked as it well.
When I contacted my host they said the IP was blacklisted, but I think that's due to my site getting hacked last year,its back up now with tighter security but I'm still getting all this SPAM mail on a daily basis
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry if I'm reading, your reply wrong, but it sounds that you are receiving emails from other people and they are being marked as spam.

If so why would your IP being blacklisted have any effect on this?

The other possible interpretation is that emails you are sending out are being marked as spam by the companies you are sending to.  Again, you being blacklisted would have no effect, as the way I read it you are using a paid email service.

Tim

0 Kudos
FreearBros
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim, well that's what I thought initially, by my web host said I'm getting lots of spam because my email is blacklisted, I'm a little green re this sort of thing not all that tech so that's I why I contacted Virgin as my ISP I can see now why there wouldn't there be a correlation between the two, so do you reckon I contact the Blacklist to get it removed and then back to my host to see if they can configure so I receive less SPAM? Cheers Chris
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Removal from the blacklist will make no difference to the amount of spam you are receiving.  Spam filters are managed by your email host it sounds as if whoever you spoke to at tech support didn't understand your issue properly. Smiley Sad

Tim 

0 Kudos