Menu
Richard_X
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Authentication Problem - Can't Send Emails

I have already posted this problem on a separate thread, but have been asked to set up a new one. I'm using Windows Live Mail with Windows 7. Whenever I try to send an email I get a pop-up window prompting me for my ntlworld password.  Entering my password has no effect as the pop-up window just reappears again and again.

I can receive emails.

This problem started about 24 hours ago.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Authentication Problem - Can't Send Emails

Hi Richard

Welcome to the Forums

Thank you for starting a new thread.  While it may seem counter-intuitive to do so.  I've asked for this in order to help us help you individually, rather than lumping everything together.

Could you try turning on Logging in Windows Live Mail and try sending a message?

1. If you click File->Options->Mail then go to the Advanced Tab
2. Click Maintenance and under TroubleShooting tick the E-Mail Box
wlmtroublshooting.JPG

3. Click Close 
4. Click Ok in the options Box
5. Try sending a mail.
6. Open File Manager and in the address bar type %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
7. Scroll down and double click the WindowsLiveMail.log
8 Now it gets awkward Live Mail posts everything but we only need to see the Authentication results to do this we can search using CTRL+F and use the authen in the search box. (For me this went straight to the line we need).

Here's the part of my log that deals with Authentication.  We only need the line in green.

[12:33:10.84] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [tx] AUTH LOGIN

[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnNotify - FD_READ
[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnRead - recv() returned iRecv = 69, m_iLastError = 0
[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnDataAvail - m_state = 6, m fSecure = TRUE, cbRecv = 69, fIncomplete = FALSE
[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::ChangeState - Changing from 6 to 6. ASYNCEVENT is 4
[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [rx] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6

[12:33:10.85] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [tx] <base 64 username>

[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnNotify - FD_READ
[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnRead - recv() returned iRecv = 69, m_iLastError = 0
[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnDataAvail - m_state = 6, m fSecure = TRUE, cbRecv = 69, fIncomplete = FALSE
[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::ChangeState - Changing from 6 to 6. ASYNCEVENT is 4
[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [rx] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6

[12:33:10.87] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [tx] <base 64 password>

[12:33:10.90] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnNotify - FD_READ
[12:33:10.90] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnRead - recv() returned iRecv = 85, m_iLastError = 0
[12:33:10.90] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::OnDataAvail - m_state = 6, m fSecure = TRUE, cbRecv = 85, fIncomplete = FALSE
[12:33:10.90] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [db] CAsyncConn::ChangeState - Changing from 6 to 6. ASYNCEVENT is 4
[12:33:10.90] 4104                 Mail:                    SMTP [rx] 235 ... authentication succeeded

While in my case the line is 

SMTP [rx] 235 ... authentication succeeded

In yours I expect to see either

535 Authentication Details Invalid or
525 Authentication Denied.

In either case post the full line including the VM code in brackets.

Remember to turn off logging in Live Mail when you are done by going back into options and unticking email in the Maintenance section.

Ravenstar68

NOTE:  DO NOT POST THE LINES IN RED WITHOUT AMENDING THEM - they are your email address and password respectively.  Although they appear encrypted they are not.  It takes less then a minute to decode them.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Richard_X
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I got so far following your instructions, but please can you tell me where to find File Manager in Windows 7?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Just click start and then type %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail in there.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

In the box that says "search program and files". Your entry will overwrite. Then click the search icon - magnifying glass. I didn't know that snippet either! And I've been using Windows for absolutely ages.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Richard_X
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

OK - the log message is:

535 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The first thing to try is changing your password at my.virginmedia.com.  Log in using the main user account and password.

Are you able to receive mail and use webmail?

Ravenstar68

Richard_X
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've changed my password and it hasn't made any difference - I've got the same problem.

I can send and receive emails via webmail.  I can receive emails via Windows Livemail, but I can't send them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

For incoming do you use POP3 or IMAP? You'll have to humour me - I know your problem is sending but I want to rule something out.

Also have you checked the Outgoing settings are set to use the same details as incoming?  (Assuming no recent: at the start of a pop3 username)

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Richard_X
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I use POP3 for incoming mail.

Incoming server is pop.ntlworld.com

Outgoing server is smtp.virginmedia.com

I don't quite understand your last sentence.

0 Kudos