Menu
SilverLady
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Archive folder contains 4 years of PERMANENTLY DELETED e-mails

Hi

Following on from my problems with Virgin web mail (mentioned in another thread), I changed to using Thunderbird as a client.  Switch over is amazingly easy - Thunderbird asks for e-mail address and password, then automatically inserts all settings and syncs all folders and e-mail.  Works very well, no problems like those I experienced accessing and using Virgin web mail.

However when I opened a folder marked 'Archive' on Thunderbird, it downloaded all my e-mail messages sent and received for the last 4 years IN DUPLICATE.  These messages had been permanently deleted on Virgin mail.

I could open and read all this mail.  Where has it come from?  Surely this is a security problem?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Archive folder contains 4 years of PERMANENTLY DELETED e-mails

It is a security issue but not one that I have experienced.

Virgin Media took their email service in-house (approximately 1 year and 8 month ago) after Google terminated the email service they provided to ISPs. As a consequence of the migration previous emails were stored under a sub-folder titled Gmail and if emails were archived under the current email system they would appear under a sub-folder titled Archive and then by Year. Do either of these folder structures match with how those unexpected  emails are stored?

Thunderbird's auto-configuration account settings favour IMAP so you may find this post of interest if you want your emails only stored locally, Re: Email not deleted on server via POP- Time to Fix?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whether it's a security issue is actually open for debate.  However, lets look at some facts.

1. If there are 4 years of deleted emails.  Then at least two of these were archived BEFORE the email account was used to Liberty Global's new platform.  It would help to know what years are referenced in the archive.

2. Virgin Media used Gmail as their mail provider prior to the end of 2015, when your mail was moved across would have depended on the domain part of your email.  If you are using IMAP Google's default setting was not to delete the mail but was instead to archive it. 

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello SilverLady

I am sorry it must have been a bit of a surprise to see them all after you thought they were deleted.

It does sound as mentioned above that this was archived email transferred when we changed platforms. It may not have been obvious but  this should have appeared as a Google or Gmail folder in the Webmail interface, it is possible to have deleted it from there although as you say Thunderbird seems to be working. 

I am not sure I follow the security risk as your username and password are required to view the emails however you access them.

Hope you have it all tided up soon

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is a security issue but not one that I have experienced.

Virgin Media took their email service in-house (approximately 1 year and 8 month ago) after Google terminated the email service they provided to ISPs. As a consequence of the migration previous emails were stored under a sub-folder titled Gmail and if emails were archived under the current email system they would appear under a sub-folder titled Archive and then by Year. Do either of these folder structures match with how those unexpected  emails are stored?

Thunderbird's auto-configuration account settings favour IMAP so you may find this post of interest if you want your emails only stored locally, Re: Email not deleted on server via POP- Time to Fix?

SilverLady
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  In Thunderbird main folder is called 'Archive' and each year is shown as a subfolder.  I've deleted the 2 earlier years - no idea where they've gone now.  What concerned me was the privacy issue - these e-mails being available to view, plus the security of some of these deleted e-mails being scams (deleted unopened at time).  Remaining 2 years folders in archive have total of around 15,000 messages.

I'll have a look at your link thanks.

0 Kudos
SilverLady
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry.  Should have added I have never 'archived' e-mail in Virgin, have only gone through the 'deleted' then 'permanently deleted' selections.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whether it's a security issue is actually open for debate.  However, lets look at some facts.

1. If there are 4 years of deleted emails.  Then at least two of these were archived BEFORE the email account was used to Liberty Global's new platform.  It would help to know what years are referenced in the archive.

2. Virgin Media used Gmail as their mail provider prior to the end of 2015, when your mail was moved across would have depended on the domain part of your email.  If you are using IMAP Google's default setting was not to delete the mail but was instead to archive it. 

HTH

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

SilverLady
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Sub folders were 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.  First 3 years are complete but 2016 stops in June.  I've deleted 2013 and 2014 on Thunderbird.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello SilverLady

I am sorry it must have been a bit of a surprise to see them all after you thought they were deleted.

It does sound as mentioned above that this was archived email transferred when we changed platforms. It may not have been obvious but  this should have appeared as a Google or Gmail folder in the Webmail interface, it is possible to have deleted it from there although as you say Thunderbird seems to be working. 

I am not sure I follow the security risk as your username and password are required to view the emails however you access them.

Hope you have it all tided up soon

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
SilverLady
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the help.  I'm not so worried now as I was speaking to someone (who doesn't use Virgin) who told me that when he has reset e-mail on new mobiles, he often gets several hundred e-mails downloading on to his phone.  In his case these sometimes reappear after he has deleted them again.

I'll keep last 2 years of archive and ignore them unless I require for reference.  I'll watch to see if any newer deletions appear.

Didn't notice any gmail folder on webmail before, but do see one now on Virgin mail, but nothing seems to be in it.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've been caught out with the POP3 non deletion too. Smiley Sad  When I plonked the IMAP settings on, I found that I had well over 10,000 messages.Smiley Surprised

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

MrHalfAsleep wrote:

I've been caught out with the POP3 non deletion too. Smiley Sad  When I plonked the IMAP settings on, I found that I had well over 10,000 messages.Smiley Surprised

VM made this issue known in December 2015,14 months ago:  http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032

As a member of the forum since March 2013 you must have been comatose to have missed it, not just HalfAsleep. Smiley Surprised

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos