Menu
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another VM and Outlook problem :(

Windows 7 Pro & Outlook 2010 Pro.  NTLWorld email.

I spotted someone else with a problem with Outlook not displaying VM emails, but slightly different to my issue.

I view my NTLWorld emails via Outlook & usually using POP3.  This was working fine until yesterday when I spotted that no mail had been downloaded despite there being plenty on the server, & I hadn't changed any settings.

So today when nothing had improved after a reboot, I did some basic housekeeping with Glary & then repaired Outlook through WIndows  but still no success.

Then I figured I'd just set up the a/c by IMAP instead which at least did download the mail

BUT then I discovered in Outlook that I can't make any changes using Send/Receive in Options/Advanced nor are the multiple email a/c's I've set up (with 4 different servers so not all VM mail) showing up in the Ribbon/Send/Receive groups.  So frustratingly there appears to be some kind of glitch in Outlook which hasn't been fixed by the basic Repair option.

Anyone know of any better way to perhaps fix this.  I've a fair lot of emails (Outlook comes in at a whopping 400 Mb) but I've pruned it down as far as I can & all the 20 or so folders I use are all archived regularly.  So I'd prefer a fix that doesn't require me losing them all although I could stretch to maybe changing the primary PST file if need be - would that make a difference?

Sorry for the length of this - I'm tired & off to bed now & wanted to get it fired off first Smiley Happy.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Another VM & Outlook problem :(

First thoughts -

1. You are nowhere near the 50Gb limit for PST files for 2010..

2. As you have changed your Outlook configuration, suggest you download and run MS OffCAT tool to see what that throws up. See here -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2812744

All Replies
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any help? https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First thoughts -

1. You are nowhere near the 50Gb limit for PST files for 2010..

2. As you have changed your Outlook configuration, suggest you download and run MS OffCAT tool to see what that throws up. See here -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2812744

Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - did have MS OffCAT on the previous Win install but sometimes found it cumbersome as it would come up with so many issues when all the programs were seemingly fine with no problems, I just got tired of wading through them. But will have a go again as it may well find something of value for this one. Appreciate the timely help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Should have perhaps said that it's ONLY my NTLWorld emails I'm having a difficulty with despite the other issues within Outlook - I have 3 other server (I'm a webmaster) emails all coming in fine on POP3 a/c's as well as IMAP. And I also have a GMail a/c (so similar base to VM) which is working fine but that's IMAP again.

I did read somewhere on here that VM are moving away from POP3 so wondering now if that's anything to do with it perhaps??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is the latest official VM statement on POP3 - 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour/td-p/2994032

Note that it doesn't say they are dropping POP3 - only that its' behaviour is non-standard and they recommend using IMAP.

If you haven't yet done so, try using the virginmedia.com server settings instead of NTLWorld.

0 Kudos
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - tried the VM option but didn't change anything - off to see if there's any joy on the Outlook forums to try & fix the underlying problem with the program. If that fails I think I'll probably just reinstall & see what happens then, Keep you posted if I find a solution. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos