Menu
alanmc29
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Alternate email addresses for linked accounts

I have the "primary" email address for my account which is first.last@blueyonder.co.uk

In my profile, I can see that I have "alternate" email addresses eg first_last.. and firstlast@... (although there seems no way to change/delete these aliases)

I also have 2 linked accounts for my wife and daughter, but I cannot see any "alternate" email addresses for them, or any way of managing these.

These accounts/aliases were originally set up in the old blueyonder system as aliases for the old abcd1234@blueyonder.co.uk style "primary" address.

I know that alternate addresses exist, as my daughters "primary/login" address (xxxx.yyyy@blueyonder) is not the one that she actually uses (xxxx.zzzz@blueyonder), but she still receives email OK for the xxxx.zzzz address.

How do I see/manage the alternative addresses ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Alternate email addresses for linked accounts

alanmc29 wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't any way to manage the aliases for blueyonder.co.uk mailboxes. The system that allowed that management was switched off about 5 years ago as part of the migration to Google.

It's not going to be switched back on as all new email addresses are created as virginmedia.com and don't support additional aliases i.e. each mailbox has a single email address assigned.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alanmc29 wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer !

However, if there is only a single email address, how come my daughters mails to xxxx.zzzz@blueyonder.co.uk are getting through without issue when the account login address is xxxx.yyyy@blueyonder.co.uk ??

How do I know this won't stop working at some point, and I have no control ?

You can use the tool found here: https://ipauth.virginmedia.com/SSO_BLUEYONDER/servlet/StartupServlet

to check what aliases are associated with each mailbox, but as BenMcr has said there is no way to edit them.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alanmc29 wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't any way to manage the aliases for blueyonder.co.uk mailboxes. The system that allowed that management was switched off about 5 years ago as part of the migration to Google.

It's not going to be switched back on as all new email addresses are created as virginmedia.com and don't support additional aliases i.e. each mailbox has a single email address assigned.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
alanmc29
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

However, if there is only a single email address, how come my daughters mails to xxxx.zzzz@blueyonder.co.uk are getting through without issue when the account login address is xxxx.yyyy@blueyonder.co.uk ??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alanmc29 wrote:

You can use the tool found here: https://ipauth.virginmedia.com/SSO_BLUEYONDER/servlet/StartupServlet

to check what aliases are associated with each mailbox, but as BenMcr has said there is no way to edit them.

TDx
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have similar questions. One of my alternative addresses works on my phone but not on my desk top and my wife has an associated/linked address which works, all of them blueyonder. I don't want to edit or alter them just use them. If I try to login using one of the alternatives I can't and the system can't find them. That link given doesn't work. I feel sure (though not absolutely) that when the transition to virgin and then to google (or was it the other way) users were given the opportunity to reserve/pick matching email addresses. Where can I find up to date info on the current situation? Are my BY addresses going to die soon? I need to know.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As you have found that link no longer works as the associated page has been taken down by VM.  You should be able to see the aliases associated with the primary account via the My Profile page in My Virgin Media.  They are listed as alternate email addresses in the My Services section.

However, since the link has gone dead I cannot find a way of seeing aliases of secondary accounts, albeit that they continue to work (in my case anyway).

You cannot log into webmail with the aliases, only with the host email address, but you should be able to use them via an email client, so I am not sure why yours would work on your phone but not your desk top.  Have you double checked that all the settings are correct on the desktop email client?

As far as I know all blueyonder email addresses will continue to work as long as the broadband account to which they are linked continues.

On your last point, the original idea to let existing users migrate to virginmedia.com email addresses using the same prefix as their legacy address was scrapped, but the prefixes remain reserved so that no one can use them.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I know that if I go to https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/view and sign in using my main Blueyonder email address, I can see the aliases linked to that account

Virgin Media Mail address
********n@blueyonder.co.uk

Alternate email addresses
********r@blueyonder.co.uk

Ravenstar68 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

TDx
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This I know and can see the so called aliases/alternatives, 4 of them. Email sent to these aliases comes through to at least two of the addresses. Which of the two is the main/primary address I don't know. my wife has an email address associated with my account which is not I take it an alias/alternative. I just am curious as to why one alias works on my laptop and another doesn't. Do they all have the same password? Strangely the one alias that works on the laptop (and desktop) is a non standard 3 letters and blueyonder. the sign in [age doesn't like it but lets me in. My guess is that's the main email address.

Tony

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes the aliases will have the same password as the 'parent' address as there is only one mailbox used for the parent and its aliases.  Do you get any error messages for the ones that don't work?