Menu
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

All inbox emails disappeared

Hi all,

Yesterday morning I logged into my emails and all my inbox emails had completely disappeared, all historical items. All my sent items and stuff in folders are there but when I logged in to the webmail theres nothing there or on my phone as it syncs. I called virgin who said someone must of deleted them but there was tons so no way it could have been done accidentally. They are pleading innocence but very fishy it all happened with the stuff they were doing on the website yesterday. I checked the archive folder and its empty.

Anyone else having the same issue? Its a blueyonder email addy!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: All inbox emails disappeared

fudge1976 wrote:

Hi rising star, yes I checked the trash, its like they never existed! I work for an IT company and even our helpdesk manager is baffled! He thinks if its not showing on the webmail or on my phone now it syncs then it must be an issue with the server. Bizarre!

Sadly issues with VM email are many and varied, just see this forum for examples, and this is just one more example of how VM's current email platform is failing their customers. Relying on an ISP provided email service is becoming a bit of a lottery, and VM are becoming very adept at selling losing tickets. Except that VM's current position is that webmail is provided as an "added value" service, provided free, and as such is not required to be fully supported. 

This seems to go against VM's own Acceptable Use Policy http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy.html Section 3: Use Of The Services 3.4. Users are expected and required to review email messages in their primary Virgin Media mailbox provided as part of the services or the preferred email address registered with Virgin Media on a regular basis.

One possible solution is to configure your email clients to use the POP protocol. That way at least you will have locally held copies of your emails, although sent items will only be available on the sending device. This can be overcome by bcc'ing yourself on every sent email. Just a thought.

Another better option is to set up an ISP independent email address which is fully supported. This option will also allow you to change ISP's without affecting your email address. 

Bereavment Mode: I'm sorry for your loss, I believe it to be terminal. They (your emails) will not be coming back!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Sololobo, explains a lot!

0 Kudos
njb1
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi. The same happened to me back in March and then again yesterday.

I'm livid, especially because they tried to blame it on me, as they did with you, when I've done the same as I've always done for the past 10 years.

I spent hours on the phone and some VM IT bloke accessed my computer remotely to no avail and there seems to be no route of complaint. Also no advice on how to stop it happening. I can't believe it's happened again.

Think I'll change to BT.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Checked the Trash folder?

0 Kudos
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi rising star, yes I checked the trash, its like they never existed! I work for an IT company and even our helpdesk manager is baffled! He thinks if its not showing on the webmail or on my phone now it syncs then it must be an issue with the server. Bizarre!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you put "Inbox disappeared" into the search box at the top of this page and hit Search, you will find a number of threads on the subject, most  of which are 

attributable to iPhones since IOS 9 was released in late 2015.

If you have an iPhone please read these.

0 Kudos
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

its android. Just signed went in on my outlook profile on home pc. all historical emails gone. fuming!

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

fudge1976 wrote:

Sadly issues with VM email are many and varied, just see this forum for examples, and this is just one more example of how VM's current email platform is failing their customers. Relying on an ISP provided email service is becoming a bit of a lottery, and VM are becoming very adept at selling losing tickets. Except that VM's current position is that webmail is provided as an "added value" service, provided free, and as such is not required to be fully supported. 

This seems to go against VM's own Acceptable Use Policy http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy.html Section 3: Use Of The Services 3.4. Users are expected and required to review email messages in their primary Virgin Media mailbox provided as part of the services or the preferred email address registered with Virgin Media on a regular basis.

One possible solution is to configure your email clients to use the POP protocol. That way at least you will have locally held copies of your emails, although sent items will only be available on the sending device. This can be overcome by bcc'ing yourself on every sent email. Just a thought.

Another better option is to set up an ISP independent email address which is fully supported. This option will also allow you to change ISP's without affecting your email address. 

Bereavment Mode: I'm sorry for your loss, I believe it to be terminal. They (your emails) will not be coming back!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Sololobo, explains a lot!

0 Kudos
rpicking
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It happened to me as well. All inbox, sent box and deleted emails are gone and VM say its nothing to do with them.

I am livid and will complain. If it is not resolved this will result in VM losing my business.

0 Kudos
njb1
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi. The same happened to me back in March and then again yesterday.

I'm livid, especially because they tried to blame it on me, as they did with you, when I've done the same as I've always done for the past 10 years.

I spent hours on the phone and some VM IT bloke accessed my computer remotely to no avail and there seems to be no route of complaint. Also no advice on how to stop it happening. I can't believe it's happened again.

Think I'll change to BT.

0 Kudos
fudge1976
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So thats three people with the same issue? It wouldnt be so bad but they make you think its your fault and they said to me its impossible the emails were gone. I work in Fcukn IT its not meant to be possible and i'm not some idiot but thats how they made me feel. Iv been with virgin 10 plus years so cant say its made me very happy.

0 Kudos