Menu
ericg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Address Book

Why has my address book been arranged with many names in the alphabetical order section, but just as many tagged on after the end of the alphabetical section and very difficult to find. How can I get them all arranged alphabetically?

ericg 

0 Kudos
ericg
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Address Book

Further to my previous puzzle., why do I have many addresses in the "System" somewhere that do not appear in my address book. For instance if I enter "letters" in the search box I will be given a string of suggestions- letters to editors and magazines etc yet there are none listed in my address book.

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ericg wrote:

Why has my address book been arranged with many names in the alphabetical order section, but just as many tagged on after the end of the alphabetical section and very difficult to find. How can I get them all arranged alphabetically?

ericg 

AFAIK, The Address Book accepts Unicode scripts but the index is fixed to Latin script. To access Latin script entries you can use the index markers, search field, or scrolling  but for any other script the latter two are only applicable. The example below contains entries in Latin script, Greek script, and Cyrillic script.

2016-11-13-00.jpeg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ericg wrote:

Further to my previous puzzle., why do I have many addresses in the "System" somewhere that do not appear in my address book. For instance if I enter "letters" in the search box I will be given a string of suggestions- letters to editors and magazines etc yet there are none listed in my address book.

ericg

Depending on how the Address Book is configured it will collect email addresses of read and/or outgoing messages, and it is a separate data pool to that searched by your operating system.

0 Kudos
ericg
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rising Star now appreciate the difference between  my Collected addresses (343) and Address Book and my contacts both (529). Is it possible to get the additional addresses ie 529 -343 into some sort of alphabetical order rather than as a random set of addresses which one needs to scan nthrough carefully

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you give an example or provide an appropriately redacted screenshot?

0 Kudos
ericg
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rising Star, not sure about redacting, so here is a listing of the first few addresses after the alphabetical section

robin.....     h2wik.....      magazine.....     gmnsubs.....    info@......   letters@.......celia.....      Stanley......       editor........

and so it goes on for nearly 200 items.

Can you help to organise this part of the address book??

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email addresses would not cause the entries to appear after the sorted A-Z index, the only way that could happen is if the Last name or First name were not using Latin script. For instance, in the example I posted earlier if the “Z” index was clicked the entry for “Latin capital letter Z” would be highlighted; the (sorted) Greek and Cyrillic entries would follow, as shown.

You could try exporting  the entries in CSV format  (click ≡ to right of folder name) and use a spreadsheet to modify the Last name and/or First name entries; if neither is present then email address is used as the sort key. To preserve the original data source I would recommend you create a new folder and import the modified entries there to confirm their correctness.

0 Kudos