Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
jthackray

Adding an email account to my iphone

I've had my Virgin Media for a few days which I'm pleased with overall however I'm trying to add my virgin email account to my iphone without any success. What are the settings I need to use for incoming and outgoing server information and passwords etc? Please advise. Any help or hints would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jonathon

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

Re: Adding an email account to my iphone

Although it was written for existing customers with ntlworld email addresses, there  is a lot of general email help in this sticky post: NTLworld.com Email Migration FAQ

There are so many help atricles the, the main problem is finding the one you want. There may help:

Can I use email on a BlackBerry, iPhone or other unsupported device?

Email settings for addresses ending in @virginmedia.com

Manual email settings

If you use IMAP:

How to archive and delete messages using IMAP on iPhones

If you use POP:

How do I download mail from the same account on more than one PC or mobile device, using "recent" mo...

Eric

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
jthackray

Eric

Thank you for your response. Appreciated.

I'm a virginmedia customer who is trying to add an account on my iphone so I can access my virginmedia emails. I've been able to set accounts for other service providers on my iphone quite easily but currently unable to add my virginmedia account thus far. Should I proceed with Pop3 or Imap setup? If yes what is the settings information I need to enter to be successful? Please advise. Thanks.

Jonathon

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Eric_T

I'm no iPhone expert, but I think I would choose IMAP for a phone:

IMAP is intended as a system where you keep all the emails on the server, and remotely simply view them. You can think of teh web mail access as a way to look directly at the server contents. So, with IMAP, if you delete an email using webmail and then look at your mailbox on the iPhone, that email will have been deleted. If you read an email on your iPhone and then look at the server inbox, that email will be marked as read.

POP is intended as a system to transport emails from a server to a client. The original idea was that as soon as you downloaded the email, it would be deleted from the server. That does not generally happen these days, but it is a bit of a one-way link. The email client can delete things from the server. The advantage of POP over IMAP is that you have your own copy of the emails, and nothing that happens on the server can cause your copy to be lost.

I can't see that you would ever want an iPhone to be the archive for all your emails, wheras you might well want that function on a PC. So IMAP seems a better solution. There are a few oddities with the way IMAP works with the Google Apps system and the effect depends a bit on the functionality within the email client (hence the link to the delete/archive features.)

Setting up the iPhone for IMAP can be difficult if you have an old ntlworld/blueyonder address because it is pre-programmed with what it thinks are the correct settings, so it creates a POP account with the wrong settings for you. However, if you have a vriginmedia account I think it will give you the chance to select IMAP. (The solution with ntlworld etc is to make it a non-existant address such as @ntlworld.invalid so the phone does not think it knows best, and then put that right later.)

Settings for virginmedia addresses/IMAP (from the link posted previously.)

Manual configuration settings for e-mail

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP4 username

Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Eric 

Please use plain text.