Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 14 (290 Views)

Adding Gmail Account to Ntlworld email

[ Edited ]

I've tried to add a new account to virginmedia webmail

1) I keep getting invalid credentials - checked a hundred times and they are correct, as per

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en&visit_id=1-636253638479497913-2425620814&rd=1#t...

There was a similar issue on the forums http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/gmail-adding-an-account-to-virgin/m-p/3048952/highlight/tr...

but never really solved. The link to the virgin solution returns a server error, so no help there Anyone cracked this ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 14 (271 Views)

Re: Adding Gmail Account to Ntlworld email

Anyone cracked this?

Do you have Google's two factor authentication turned on?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Well-informed
Message 3 of 14 (270 Views)

Superuser
Message 4 of 14 (244 Views)

[ Edited ]

For me, I've always been able to connect my Gmail account.  However, I do note that Graham reported in the thread that he had similar difficulties to yourself and the OP in that thread.

I currently use two-factor authentication on my Gmail accounts, so I'm not sure if this makes a difference.  As for me when I added the account I didn't use my main password but rather I used an App specific password generated by Google for that purpose.

Tim

Edit If you don't have 2fa turned on then you can't set App-specific passwords though.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 14 (223 Views)

No I don't have 2fa turned on, not sure I want to go to the bother of doing that. Seems overkill for an secondary email account.

The App specific password - does the set-up for 2fa give that password to you to allow for a 3rd party sign on? - Is that what it's for

thanks
Malcolm

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 14 (201 Views)

Google use a method of signing in called O-Auth.  Without 2fa turned on IMAP and SMTP clients SHOULD use the main email address and password.

With 2fa turned on, applications supporting O-Auth ask for a code that is either texted to them or generated via a smartphone app.  App-specific passwords are used for applications that don't support O-Auth as they are not able to ask for this code.

Google can restrict connections if it thinks a login is unusual.  In your case, all of your logins most likely come from the UK, however, the web-mail platform is based in the Netherlands, which has certainly caused issues in the past.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 14 (189 Views)

>however, the web-mail platform is based in the Netherlands

This is useful knowledge. I keep getting emails from google telling me a non secure app has tried to access my account. The location is "netherlands"

I suspect ntl is trying to access and google are blocking them. Question is why ?

this should be simple

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 14 (185 Views)

Solved - I think

In my google profile - In Sign in and Security  I set
Allow less secure apps: ON

now it works - Question is WHY is NTL a "non secure app".

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 9 of 14 (171 Views)

Hi mbarrows

Maybe I should leave this to the superusers to respond but I had the same problem last year when I added my GMail account to my MS Outlook 2016 mail client.

As soon as I did that Google whined about a non secure app (MS Outlook) trying to access my account and like you I had to turn the security off in Google. The reason is that although Google have implemented the latest authorisation protocol (OAuth 2.0) not everyone else has and VM are certainly not the only ones.

You comment has reminded me that I need to check whether Outlook 2016 does now support OAuth 2.0. The concern for me was that as far as I could see Google only allows you to toggle the security on or off for all 3rd party apps rather than being able to specify certain ones that you need to allow to access your GMail account.

Coenoby

Superuser
Message 10 of 14 (165 Views)

[ Edited ]

You might find this thread from Google Forums interesting. You both may have hit on the answer. Superusers are generally brilliant (that'll get me into trouble with some of you) but there is expertise out there (you guys) that we should tap into.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/RdAVxF_GTsc

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos