Menu
ericg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ADDRESS BOOKS

When I click onto "COLLECED ADDRESSES" I find that some contacts are listed up to 20 times whereas other are listed only once or sometimes not at all. How do I tidy up the listing and remove the duplicates? 

Thanks  ericg

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ADDRESS BOOKS

Help on editing and deleting address book entries can be found here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=50045B25-F4BB-46C7-ACE1-E871EA3B322D

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The address book allows duplicate entries to be added which is a bug; how do you make Virgin Media aware of the bug, no idea.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Help on editing and deleting address book entries can be found here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=50045B25-F4BB-46C7-ACE1-E871EA3B322D

ericg
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham but your response does not answer my question about the "Collected addresses" column which contains many duplications. Incidently I am unable to work out how to add an existing member of my address book to an existing distribution list.

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The address book allows duplicate entries to be added which is a bug; how do you make Virgin Media aware of the bug, no idea.

ericg
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rising Star and Graham for your help so far, and references to the guide notes (thanks Graham) however I can find no way of adding an existing person to an existing distribution list. Surely I do not have to delete the whole distribution  list and recreate it just for one addition??

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ericg wrote:

Hi Rising Star and Graham for your help so far, and references to the guide notes (thanks Graham) however I can find no way of adding an existing person to an existing distribution list. Surely I do not have to delete the whole distribution  list and recreate it just for one addition??

ericg

Select the distribution list you want to add to > click on Edit > start to type the contact details into the add contact field - if the contact is already in your address book it will appear in a drop down list and you can select it.

The collected addresses folder can be edited in exactly the same way as other folders in the address book.  If you don't want to use the automatic collection of email addresses you can turn this off under Settings > Email > in the common section at the top of the page.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

IMHO, you should clear your collected addresses folder and deactivate the feature under Setting, Email, Common to avoid the risk of not having a contact associated with its corresponding  distribution list entry / entries. The benefit of  this is that an update of email address will be automatically reflected in corresponding distributions list.

To add a contact to your address book click on the name or email address shown in the email.

Be aware that  the file created by an Export of the  address book lacks the data required to maintain the association between a contact and its corresponding distribution list. As a consequence after Import a change of email address will no longer be automatically reflected in corresponding distributions list.

0 Kudos
ericg
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to keep coming back to this topic. I have added the new address of my contact to my distribution list, and confirmed it is there each time I checked it. However when I send out a bulk email to all members of the list, the drop down listing of all members does not include the updated email address. How do I link these two separate copies of my dist list which I would have thought were identical

ericg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes the data cache is not up to date and this can be resolved by reload webmail (Ctrl + R).

ericg
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rising Star and Graham, thanks for your patience and help. Now all my lists are up to date and correct. I've learnt a lot. I'll try and give you both a kudos if possible but maybe I cannot do so now. All the thumbs have disappeared

ericg

0 Kudos