Menu
NigelWhite1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

554 errors delivering to ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com from Mailman mailing list

The members of my Mailman mailing list are complaining to me that they are not receiving the list's emails.

When I look in my logs I see that my list's messages are being rejected as spam by ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com addresses.

I run a community web site for our local village www.headingley.org. All 267 members are known to each other in person. They have gone to great lengths to sign up to the Mailman list as we ask 10 questions to vet new applicants. Nobody sends any spam and all content is appropriate. Mostly it is neighbours sharing news of local events.

Please could you change our status on your spam listing?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 554 errors delivering to ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com from Mailman mailing list

Odd - this issue should have been solved by the changes which VM have made to their default spam settings in the last few weeks.

Have a look at this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Folder-Settings-Change/td-p/3267458

I suspect the mail is ending up in web mail spam folders. Your group will have to look and retrieve it from there.

Otherwise wait here for further advice from the Forum Team . Be patient, about a week to get round to this sort of thing.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
NigelWhite1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 554 errors delivering to ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com from Mailman mailing list

Thank you Howard, especially as you do not work for VM. Hmmmm... I have looked at the link you provided, thanks.

A lot of my Mailman subscribers are over 50 and can manage email on a good day. A lot of them are on POP3. A lot won't have a clue how to log in to a web interface, to look for a spam folder, or to set whitelist settings. Most will not be familiar with how to label something as "not spam".

I also know that my domain began being listed on your spam lists long before Monday 28th of November. My users have been complaining to me of non-delivery of our list posts for months, but I have only recently got round to addressing the issue.

My host emwd.com informed me on 9.12.16, "In doing a preliminary view of our mail logs, there are consistent issues going on with your ntlworld.com members. Many messages are being blocked for "Spam content found". It seems one provider is responsible for not delivery messages due to spam content: ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com."

The content of our neighbourhood messages is never spam.

We would be so glad if our community communication system (Mailman) could start functioning reliably again. It has functioned reliably, in the past, for many years.

Thank you

Nigel

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

NigelWhite1 wrote:

Thank you Howard, especially as you do not work for VM. Hmmmm... I have looked at the link you provided, thanks.

A lot of my Mailman subscribers are over 50 and can manage email on a good day. A lot of them are on POP3. A lot won't have a clue how to log in to a web interface, to look for a spam folder, or to set whitelist settings. Most will not be familiar with how to label something as "not spam".

Oh dear - I'm 66 , soon to be 67 and I manage it every day and have managed it every day ever since VM had a Google based mail system and this new interface introduced in 2015. I use POP. Excuse the cynicism, but this one doesn't run with me. Here is a link that might help.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

I also know that my domain began being listed on your spam lists long before Monday 28th of November. My users have been complaining to me of non-delivery of our list posts for months, but I have only recently got round to addressing the issue.

This issue has been evident in the system since it started in 2015. We investigated and reported it to VM within weeks.   It hits different senders at different times. The fix deployed by VM - default spam settings - should have been used from the outset as the default setting. It has only taken VM just over a year to do so.

My host emwd.com informed me on 9.12.16, "In doing a preliminary view of our mail logs, there are consistent issues going on with your ntlworld.com members. Many messages are being blocked for "Spam content found". It seems one provider is responsible for not delivery messages due to spam content: ntlworld.com, virgin.net and virginmedia.com."

We know.

The content of our neighbourhood messages is never spam.

We know

We would be so glad if our community communication system (Mailman) could start functioning reliably again. It has functioned reliably, in the past, for many years.

VM Forum Team staff will pick this up in due course. about a week, maybe more now its Xmas. They may be able to adjust their systems to help. But we know that one big cause of mail being erroneously marked as spam is because people to whom you send newsletters mark it as such and filters then recognise it as such.  Although it is also fair to say that the VM spam filters do need work on them to make them less capricious in their actions

Thank you

Nigel

This is primarily a user to user community forum where users like me come together with VM customers and VM "victims" to help them solve problems. The Forum Team intervene when necessary. I and the other Superusers and in fact all the users who come here to help do it because it is a worthwhile activity to share knowledge and experience.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
NigelWhite1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again Howard.

I am still waiting for VM Forum Team staff to pick this up. Anyone.......

In the meantime I am working to assist my VM users who are a very unhappy bunch.

Thanks

Nigel

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam  This one appears to have slipped through the net.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nigel

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry we have not got to this post earlier however as it happens we have just finished updating all our mailboxes to receive all email so fingers crossed it now okay. If it still happening from this point forward then we generally do not whitelist as we like to find out why and advise accordingly, please let us know.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos