Menu
CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

550 error

cannot figure out why thjis keeps happening - I have a new domain name and have been trying to set up email account. It can send emails but it can't receive them - I keep getting this notification from Virgin - tearing my hair out over it!!

This is the mail system at host know-smtprelay-1-imp. 

I am sorry to have to inform you that your message, "sun", could not be delivered to
xxx@xxxx
The remote mail system said; 550:Unrouteable address The original message is attached.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 550 error

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right I tried sending a mail to test@sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk - Note I was expecting the mail to bounce one way or another but the bounce did give me more information.

Your MX record so far is fine - provided you either have a mail hosting account with Vidahost OR have set up mail forwarding.

I sent over Google so the issue is with your account and not Virgin

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

test@sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk by mail.vhdns.net. [188.65.118.154].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 Unrouteable address

The vidahost mail server does not have a clue as to what to do with inbound mails for your email domain.

Bear in mind that Zoho Mail currently provide free hosting for a single domain with up to 25 addresses.  If you have not already purchased a hosting plan you might want to consider setting up with them.  You can change mail providers at any time.

Ravenstar68

Edit I recommend setting up a hosted mail solution rather than simply forwarding mails for your domain to a third party account.  Changes in email standards means that forwarding solutions are more likely to cause issues with mail deliverability.  Hosted solutions are definitely better.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just a quick update to close this, this is the reply I got from VidaHost

"It seems that you aren't using the correct mx record,  I edited the mx record from your client area for sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk. You will need to wait for the mx record to propagate which can take up to 4-5 hours. After that you should be able to receive emails, on your newly created mail account, without any issues."

And he was right - the email address is working perfectly now. I have to say that VidaHost are excellent at replying to any queries I have, however daft!

Thanks for all your help here as well xx

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

First thing I would have thought of are your MX records set up correctly in DNS

To be able to receive mail you should have set up at least one MX record pointing at you mail server's A record..  Would you mind sharing your domain name?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that - it is sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right I tried sending a mail to test@sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk - Note I was expecting the mail to bounce one way or another but the bounce did give me more information.

Your MX record so far is fine - provided you either have a mail hosting account with Vidahost OR have set up mail forwarding.

I sent over Google so the issue is with your account and not Virgin

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

test@sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain sweetpeasandhoneybees.co.uk by mail.vhdns.net. [188.65.118.154].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 Unrouteable address

The vidahost mail server does not have a clue as to what to do with inbound mails for your email domain.

Bear in mind that Zoho Mail currently provide free hosting for a single domain with up to 25 addresses.  If you have not already purchased a hosting plan you might want to consider setting up with them.  You can change mail providers at any time.

Ravenstar68

Edit I recommend setting up a hosted mail solution rather than simply forwarding mails for your domain to a third party account.  Changes in email standards means that forwarding solutions are more likely to cause issues with mail deliverability.  Hosted solutions are definitely better.

CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You are star. Many thanks for going to all that trouble. I have already bought a web hosting plan with Vidahost, but I will investigate Zoho.

Perhaps I'll get some sleep tonight - was up to 2am trying to figure it out!

Just popped over to Zoho - looks ideal, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Web hosting is not the same as mail hosting.  While Vidahosts have both, unless they specifically say that mail hosting is included with your current plan, it may well account for what is happening here.

0 Kudos
CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

this is the link to their plans - I signed up for the starter one.

https://www.vidahost.com/web-hosting/pricing

I've signed up with Zoho and am waiting the obligatory 1 hour after adding a cname record - fingers crossed I did that right!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

According to that you should have 25 mailboxes.  So it might be worth asking Vidahost what's happening.  Or you could continue with Zoho

Edit BTW - If it's a new record you'll probably find it registers in much less than an hour.  What might take longer is changing the MX records.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
CrystalMoonCat
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've sent VidaHost a query about it.

0 Kudos