Menu
AnthroPalm
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

550:SPF

For about a week now my emails to myself and to my wife keep bouncing. I get the "550Smiley FrustratedPF Validation Failed" error message with my email returned.

I think we had something similar a few years back, but I cannot remember how it was resolved.

We are on Virgin broadband. However, our email is with a different company.

Looking at the comments about SPF I cannot work out whether it is Virgin, or whether it should be our email company that sets the SPF records up correctly. I am assuming that this is an SPF problem, off course....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 550:SPF

AnthroPalm wrote:

We are on Virgin broadband. However, our email is with a different company.

Looking at the comments about SPF I cannot work out whether it is Virgin, or whether it should be our email company that sets the SPF records up correctly. I am assuming that this is an SPF problem, off course....

Even though you are on Virgin broadband you should use the third party companies smtp servers to deliver your mail.

What does the third party address end with?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
AnthroPalm
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar68.

Our emails end in care4free.net. We have used this set up with outlook express and now Windows mail for over 10 years. Our current outgoing smtp server is set to smtp.ntlworld.com. The emails associated with our virgin media account end in ntlworld.com, we just tend not to use them except to sign into our account.

I'm not sure why this should suddenly stop working.

0 Kudos
AnthroPalm
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK - my apologies. I seem to be able to send emails to myself again. Just testing sending one to my wife. I should have done this before I added the item, however, when I tested it a few days back I still had problems.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for that - it looks as if there's been an SPF record added to the care4free.net domain by madasafish - I'm assuming you are trying to send to Virgin email addresses.  Virgin set the response for SPF hard fails to reject mail by default.

care4free.net   text =

"v=spf1 include:madasafish.com -all"

As the email service is run by Madasafish - which IIRC is now owned by Plusnet you should use the madasafish servers.

The Outgoing host is the same as the incoming

Host - mail.madasafish.com
Port - 25
SSL - NO
My server requires authentication - ticked
Username and password should be the same as for incoming mail.

BTW I'd contact Plusnet and ask them to consider implementing SSL on their mail servers.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.