Menu

WiFi Win #5

by Moderator on ‎24-03-2017 15:51 (1,269 Views)

Welcome to WiFi Wins - Five quick tips for faster home WiFi

WiFi Win #5

Get rid of blackspots

A smart way to extend your signal to rooms your WiFi doesn't reach.

Have a WiFi blackspot? Try Powerline WiFi Booster – it uses your home’s
electrical wiring to extend WiFi signal. Find out more at virginmedia.com/powerline

Stay tuned to Digital Life throughout the week for more great WiFi Wins!

by hackneydave
on ‎26-03-2017 16:08

I've been testing signal distribution to spots where direct wifi reception from the Superhub 3 is weak. Powerline HomeplugAV2 adapters are generally a good solution but subject to interference and signal degradation caused  by transformers (e.g. your laptop or mobile charger) and even light bulbs - I have a grow light LED that causes my Powerline throughput to drop by more than 50%. It's good to do some speedtest testing with the far-end adapter plugged in at different locations.

One area which generally receives less attention is antenna design. I bought a USB 3 WiFi dongle with 2 7" external antenna - U shape design - that handles ac beamforming recently. The dongle with dual antennas has a huge impact on signal strength and throughput speed, and depending on its location, meets or exceeds throughput from a HomePlug 1200 network.  Not all dongles feature extended range or can accomodate ac so you need to read the fine print, reviews and test yourself.  This might be a better solution if you've got reduced throughput in a Powerline network.

by hackneydave
on ‎27-03-2017 03:45

i forgot to add that your device needs to be 802.11 ac - capable - to get the best wifi reception from the Superhub 3. Also you should check your wifi signal settings - use 5 Ghz channel and set signal type to ac only. Most new laptops and smartphones can run ac   but, again, you need to read the fine print

by hackneydave
on ‎27-03-2017 03:49

check Superhub menu Advanced Settings | Wireless | Wireless Frequency | 5 ghz | Wireless Mode -- set here to ac only

by studio_54
a month ago

Hey mate - can I just check something from your first post on Sunday...

"Powerline HomeplugAV2 adapters are generally a good solution but subject to interference and signal degradation caused  by transformers (e.g. your laptop or mobile charger)..." 

So the benefit of adapters designed to be used by inter alia laptop and mobile devices can be reduce by using those devices whilst plugged in?

• 4 comments
  • 1 kudos