Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GadgetRescue
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

Gadget_Rescue_300x200.jpg

Tips and tricks

We love the Xbox One. So we've put this guide together to help you make the most of it.

Hi. Deepak here at Gadget Rescue. The Xbox One made waves in the gaming community when it was first released in 2013, and it continues to be one of the most popular consoles on the market to this day.

I got my hands on an Xbox One the day it was released and have since spent a lot of time working with Microsoft to figure out all sorts of errors and connectivity issues. Here are a few tips & tricks that I’ve learned to help you overcome common issues and save yourself some time!

xboxone_gadget_rescue_2.jpeg

Go Ethernet!

A network cable is always the best, most reliable option. Spending a few extra pounds on a long, good quality cable is a good idea. You won’t regret it!
I have my smart TV and Xbox One hooked up to a 5 port switch that is connected to my wireless router (Hub is in modem mode). Latency is less than 1ms without any packet drops.

WiFi Tips

If wireless is the only option available (have you tried powerline adaptors?), try to connect your Xbox One using a 5 GHz band.
2.4 GHz spectrum is normally a little more congested, while 5 GHz has less interference and can carry more bandwidth, meaning your downloads and DLNA connectivity is faster.
The only disadvantage of a 5 GHz band is the distance coverage. Your router will have to be closer to your console than usual.

Download first, play later

You may experience some lags if there are games downloading/updating in the background. I recommended that you let your games download/update before playing.

Xbox Off

Turning off devices is always recommended to experience less problems, and increase the lifespan of your console.
Not only that, but this will allow updates to install overnight, but you will also save some money on power!

xboxone_gadget_rescue.jpeg

I love my Xbox One! I was a PS1, PS2 and PS3 player but switched to the Xbox One, and I’m eagerly waiting for the launch of Xbox One X to enjoy the design, hardware and 4K graphics.

I’m also a Gadget Rescue agent myself, so do not hesitate to call our team if you’re still experiencing an issue with your Xbox One - or any of your consoles or devices.

And of course, you can always ask for help on the Virgin Media Community in the Gaming Support forum, or talk game play in our Gamer Lounge.

Any more tips to get the most out of the Xbox One? Leave me a comment below.

Happy Gaming!

Gadget Rescue is a 24/7 chargeable support service designed to fix issues with non-Virgin Media technology in your home. From tablets and mobiles to cameras and computers, 93% of issues are fixed first time.
Gadget Rescue Subscription is £5 a month + a £20 set-up fee, with a minimum 6 month period).
Gadget Rescue one-off fix is charged at £35, with a no fix - no fee guarantee.
To chat live to a Gadget Rescue expert online just go to VirginMedia.com/gadgetrescue, or call free on 0800 014 7398.
2 Comments