Menu
Cardoonqueen
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

shortening cable to splitter

I'm having cabinet built into the alcove to house my tv.  behind the existing cabinet is a spaghetti junction of cables, most notable of which is an incredibly long cable from the junction box (or whatever it's called) on the wall and the splitter ... it must be at least 2 metres long!

My electrician is coming on Sunday bless him to fit the kitchen lighting - can he reduce the length of the cable?

I have tried fruitlessly to find a way to get this question answered by ringing Virgin - it doesn't fit any of their options and tech chat support is just too busy ... any ideas anyone??

cheers

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: shortening cable to splitter

Dave_cq wrote:

Sololobo wrote:

Just curious:

How can a cable which is within a customers property possibly be a shared connection with neighbours? How would shortening, or for that matter lengthening an internal cable impact anybody without a direct connection to that cable? 

Both the Linear channels & Broadband on the coax part of HFC systems use shared frequencies. Think of the Broadband side as WiFi over cable. The Superhubs receive data on 8 downstream channels, but these channels also carry data from other customers on that part of the network, so the hub has to pick out the data packets relevant to their particular customer. A similar sort of thing happens with the upstream.

Noise anywhere downstream of the street cabinet amp can be picked up & amplified, degrading everyones performance levels.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The cable is Virgin's property and is a network connection shared with all your neighbours. If any cable alterations are done incorrectly it could have an impact on your services and those of your neighbours.  You would be in breach of their T&Cs to get the cable modified by anybody other than VM.

Customer services should be able to arrange a non fault call out which is chargeable at £99 last time I checked.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Cardoonqueen
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for help - I thought this would probably be the answer.

But it's so irritating to be charged a call out charge for a cable!  I can't seem to get through Virgin's communication system

to ask if they could send me a shorter cable - I literally only need a metre and I have three!  

I might try and get through on chat much later on.

hey ho, on we go!

many thanks for support

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Coaxial-Extension-Broadband-Modem-Quality/dp/B01CRK0DEI/ref=sr_1_1?...

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes - just buy a 1m coax cable. Get a well shielded one if it's a mass of stuff back there.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

just coil what excess you have now and put a bit of tape around the coil to keep it neat. you never know when oyu may need the longer legth due to furniture re-arrangement

0 Kudos
Cardoonqueen
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep I had thought of coiling it too... I'm going to see what it's like tomorrow but i may just be naughty and get the shorter cable... I'll see

what Kamil says.  Thanks so much for all your  help.

cheers

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just curious:

SCA1972 wrote:

The cable is Virgin's property and is a network connection shared with all your neighbours. If any cable alterations are done incorrectly it could have an impact on your services and those of your neighbours.  You would be in breach of their T&Cs to get the cable modified by anybody other than VM.

How can a cable which is within a customers property possibly be a shared connection with neighbours? How would shortening, or for that matter lengthening an internal cable impact anybody without a direct connection to that cable? 

Customer services should be able to arrange a non fault call out which is chargeable at £99 last time I checked.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

Just curious:

SCA1972 wrote:

I think the theory is that the 'shared network' for want of a better term is all those users connecting back to the same street cabinet and that if someone makes a bodge of a bit of rewiring, then noise can be introduced into the line which can feed back and affect other users.  How much is theory and how much it occurs in practice I wouldn't know.

For the same reason of avoiding the introduction of noise it is recommended to put 75ohm termination caps on all unused terminations e.g. splitters, but I wonder how many people bother and does it make any real difference in practice.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dave_cq wrote:

Sololobo wrote:

Just curious:

Both the Linear channels & Broadband on the coax part of HFC systems use shared frequencies. Think of the Broadband side as WiFi over cable. The Superhubs receive data on 8 downstream channels, but these channels also carry data from other customers on that part of the network, so the hub has to pick out the data packets relevant to their particular customer. A similar sort of thing happens with the upstream.

Noise anywhere downstream of the street cabinet amp can be picked up & amplified, degrading everyones performance levels.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos