Menu
Coops2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

e-bay purchase of Superhub3

Hello all, please go easy on me. I’ve screwed up here. I was having a lot of problems with my Superhub1 router. Basically I had to reboot it at least once a day for a stable connection over WiFi and Wired. I called VM many times but seemed to get a call centre in a far off land that was just going through a script and of course every time they re-booted the router and it was fine again. I asked repeatedly for a new router but they refused. Ive been a VM customer for many years and take many packages with them and expected a little more help. I decided to sort this out myself (mistake & without doing proper research !). I looked through e-bay and bought a superhub3 unopened. It arrived, I plugged it in and no internet (of course). I called VM and explained the situation, I gave them the SN of the router and they told me the device wasn’t registered on their systems so they couldn’t connect it. They did however offer to send me another device (turned out to be a superhub2 when it arrived) so I called to activate my superhub2 (all working fine) I took the opportunity to ask the guy on the phone about registering the Superhub3, he spoke to his manager and the message was “The device is the property of VM and registration is done on MAC address, we cant register it as its not registered to me and by doing so will implicate me to the device which they do not know where it came from” they also said bring this to e-Bays attention as VM have an agreement with e-Bay to stop listing these devices. So I started a process with e-Bay, my whole argument being this was not the sellers property to sell in the first place. At first the Seller was saying that I don’t need to activate it and just plug it in and it will work. So I sent links to pages on the VM site where it clearly states it needs activation. I also sent links to the pages where it says the device is “rented” from e-Bay. This was my angle basically saying that the device is not the sellers property to sell. They told me they were sent it by VM but are still using their old router. Now e-bay want a police report !! (of course they will not be interested) Im not sure what more I can say. Any help from VM here would be great ! Or any advice really. I know Ive had a mare with this :-(

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: e-bay purchase of Superhub3

Coops2 wrote:
Yes yes I know, like I say Ive had a mare and didnt research it properly but if VM are right and they do have a policy with e-Bay then this should be simple to rectify right ? So is there any info out ther or were VM fobbing me off ? Im not going to get a police report, I dont want to waste their time. Cheers

They likely do at a higher level but 1st Line Support at ebay likely do not know or care.

The only thing you can do is push for escalation at ebay itself. They should not be allowing these things to be sold but I do not think 1st line will do anything at all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there may be an agreement - there are some here that would know - but ebay could not care less - they list regardless - some of us have reported stuff in the past both to VM and ebay and nothing happens

afaik all you need to do is ring your local station and report you have been sold stolen goods - sure you will have to give a bit of detail - they will give you a crime number and forget it - you can quote that and the reference to the person who took the report to ebay who should issue a refund charging that back to the seller - ebay will then also promptly forget it and allow more SH's to be listed

Tony
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

davrosa wrote:
Be careful when reporting this as you could be charged with receiving stolen property which it is

dont think that will happen - as to an agreement with ebay or ebay being proactive there are 56 on there this morning - they do not remove them and are happy to make their 10%

maybe they should be reported for selling stolen goods - thats not going to happen either - both VM and ebay could not care less it seems

Tony
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wouldnt be too hard on yourself ... this will always happen - look on ebay for tivo boxes for example ... none can ever be connected to the network, and the sellers know this. Virgin should take a lot of the blame for this themselves though .... all equipment must be provisioned against a customer, so they must surely know which customer has sold it on.

Sounds like you may have to chalk this down to experience, and grin& bear it

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

how did you pay = paypal yes - but was that via a bank credit card - if so you can go through them - takes a while but usually gets sorted - push ebay they are known to change their position - you are being answered by a bot - keep mailing them - hold your line and sooner or later a human will get involved

what does the seller say - has he walked away - dont be afraid to tell him you are happy to go to the police and file a report he is selling stolen goods - wording is what its all about  - suggest like him you did not know the goods belonged to VM 

have you raised a return with the seller asking for your money back - if you log it as not working he should pay return postage and if he does not refund you ebay should

like i say i think you are getting answers from a bot so push it

Tony
cybmole
Community elder
Message 13 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

open a paypal dispute - tell paypal you want a refund for the very simple reason that it does not work !

file a case and tick the boxes saying not working, not as described  &  in the details add  -  does not connect to the internet!

simples

unless it was sold as " for parts" it either has to work ( which is impossible it will not authenticate with Virgin) , or you are entitled to a full refund.

also, I'd post the S/N on here if it has one + send that to Virgin to trace if interested. and the seller's ebay handle if you want to name and shame.

PS skip the ebay report stage, start over and go directly to paypal and open a PAYPAL Dispute, which you can do from within your paypal account.

Worst case is paypal force to  return it first ( YOU must get proof of DELIVERY- so use a signed for courier ). you can resist that by saying you will ship it on receipt of reply paid packaging from seller or will hand it to a seller-booked courier but only for for a signed receipt. Best case is that it will go through their mostly automated procedure and they will find in your favour in x days time. the onus is on the seller to dig their way out of the hole, which they will not be able to do 

your fall back is a to raise a Visa or Mastercard dispute for faulty goods  with your bank - feel free to threaten that at every opportunity Smiley Happy. and refer to sellers obligation under UK distance selling rules to pay return postage for faulty goods.

PS - to all readers: a quick ebay search confirms many many "virginmedia superhub" listings. some are from sellers with solid 100% feedback , suggesting ignorance rather than criminality. Virgin could stop this easiily if they so wished. e.g. try listing a not-for-resale Microsoft package on ebay & the sky will fall in within 24 hours... so the only reason a "not-for-resale, property of virgin" hub is allowed must be because Virgin don't care to take action. Now where's that old cable modem I've waited 10 years for VM to arrange collection of  & what's that worth Smiley Happy

cybmole
Community elder
Message 20 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

technically - you were sold rented goods not stolen goods. I'd back off on using the word stolen

IMHO, this mess is largely VMs fault for sloppy T&C, sloppy procedures, couldn't care less attitude when it comes to ebay...

playing devils advocate, it's possible to receive an unsolicited HUB from VM ( I was sent one, unasked, recently, and I was also left with one to dispose of a couple of years back after a swap out - the engineer did not want to take it away). T

The "don't care" policy kicks in when you try to return old stuff to VM - I used to have a collection of old modems etc that I eventually binned. When you complain about storing their stuff for them, you maybe get a " we'll send you some packaging to return it with" but they never get around to that.

the law on unsolicited goods, i think,  is that they become yours if you give the sender notice but they fail to collect in a reasonable time ?. And if an VM engineer says, "don't want the old one" is it then yours, on his say so as a company representative ?

I strongly doubt the hub has " property of VM" anywhere on it, ditto the box it ships in. &  if you check the sellers on ebay - they are mostly guys with v good feedback, not a bunch of obvious crooks.

an unregistered hub probably does " work" as an expensive 4 port switch. the activate process is shrouded in secrecy and mis-information. I guess that when you call the activation line there's a check to see if your account has been flagged to expect an activation, and it fails if not.

Whatever the mechanism used is, its not based on equipment serial numbers 

It would be nice to see an official company response on this thread but dream on

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Coops2,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been unsuccessful in claiming back a refund from Ebay. 

As mentioned previously in this thread, it may be worth creating a case with Paypal instead and putting that the device is faulty. Explain in further detail that you are unable to use the device as it needs to be activated by Virgin Media which we are unable to do as you are not the account holder. 

We do have a team here, working to resolve situations such as this and they manage to get equipment removed quite often from Ebay. 

I wish there was something we could do in this circumstance and we wish you all the best on getting a refund from either Paypal or Ebay. 

If you do wish to upgrade then give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can go through your options.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Kath_F wrote:

Hi Coops2,

We do have a team here, working to resolve situations such as this and they manage to get equipment removed quite often from Ebay. 

@Kath_F with respect - you should not need a team - if that actually exists ebay lie - nothing new there but when people report SH's or the likes to ebay the excuse from them is any such report must come from VM not a n other - they [ebay] state that if that report came from VM then they would pull the listing

try listing anything that is licensed to MIcrosoft  - that listing lasts a very short time before it is deleted - either Microsoft are pro active which i doubt or they have things in place with ebay - surely VM can do the same 

Tony
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Kath_F wrote:

really ?: . I just checked ebay : " take a look" as your forum emails like to say...

virginmedia hub 83 listings,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xvirginmedia+...

virginmedia tivo 678 listings

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=virginmedia+hub&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l13...

the evidence strongly suggests that your team is incompetent, if they even really exist

0 Kudos

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

If you didn't get it from VM directly its a nice doorstop.

0 Kudos
Coops2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes yes I know, like I say Ive had a mare and didnt research it properly but if VM are right and they do have a policy with e-Bay then this should be simple to rectify right ? So is there any info out ther or were VM fobbing me off ? Im not going to get a police report, I dont want to waste their time. Cheers
0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Coops2 wrote:

They likely do at a higher level but 1st Line Support at ebay likely do not know or care.

The only thing you can do is push for escalation at ebay itself. They should not be allowing these things to be sold but I do not think 1st line will do anything at all.

0 Kudos
Coops2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thanks StopItRawr - I think that Ive been fobbed off by VM I dont think they have this "agreement" or this would have been caught and addressed. Just wondered if anyone has seen anything on their internet travels about this. I will try and pursue it still but e-bay are insisting I upload a police report to them or the case will be closed.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there may be an agreement - there are some here that would know - but ebay could not care less - they list regardless - some of us have reported stuff in the past both to VM and ebay and nothing happens

afaik all you need to do is ring your local station and report you have been sold stolen goods - sure you will have to give a bit of detail - they will give you a crime number and forget it - you can quote that and the reference to the person who took the report to ebay who should issue a refund charging that back to the seller - ebay will then also promptly forget it and allow more SH's to be listed

Tony
davrosa
Superfast
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Be careful when reporting this as you could be charged with receiving stolen property which it is
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

davrosa wrote:

dont think that will happen - as to an agreement with ebay or ebay being proactive there are 56 on there this morning - they do not remove them and are happy to make their 10%

maybe they should be reported for selling stolen goods - thats not going to happen either - both VM and ebay could not care less it seems

Tony
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Can I ask how much you paid ?

If you paid by Paypal, then I am sure you can open a case for refund with them .,,,,

0 Kudos
Coops2
Tuning in
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fatblokefletch, Id rather not say to hide my embarrassment (lack of research) Ive since found out that I can buy one through VM for £9.99 (It was a lot more than that !) Yep e-bay know that I paid with Paypal but they are saying they will close my case unless a Police report is uploaded. I have until 1st July. Granted I should have checked first, but the frustration got the better of me. Looks like you can sell equipment that belongs to VM and is not your own without any repercussions. I even spoke to someone I know in VM they couldn't even get a letter to me to state this (management block)

Thanks for all your answers guys, really

fatblokefletch wrote:

Can I ask how much you paid ?

If you paid by Paypal, then I am sure you can open a case for refund with them .,,,,

appreciate it but I dont think I have the silver bullet Im looking for yet

0 Kudos