Menu
paperclip0596
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

customer service

when are we going to get customer services back in the uk 24/7.....

at the moment we have to deal with very bad and unskilled customer services in india, don't answer the phone or just put the phone down....it has now come to the point where i am thinking leaving virigin due to the substanded customer services...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: customer service

Do you want an honest answer to this or are you prepared to be fobbed off?

I'll fob you off first. We understand that off-shore (now including a service centre in Poland) answers successfully over 90 per cent of the calls they get to solve service issues. Not only that they are there 24/7 which is more than can be said for some UK service centres provided by other organisations (not just ISPs). And they save VM money too compared with home-based service so this keeps your monthly fees down.

Now the honest answer. The Superusers are constantly moaning about the scripted nature of the transactions with off-shore an their mechanical responses. We'd like the service repatriated but there doesn't seem to be much likelihood of this anytime soon. And actually judging by recent experience when it took me three calls to get a billing query sorted out (off-shore and local) I'm not sure there is a terrible lot to be gained.

And you think other ISPs would be better?

The best place for advice is this Forum. If you have a current question post it on this Forum in the right place and you'll get the help you need. And that included from the VM Forum Team who, when necessary, will intervene postively.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

paperclip0596 wrote:

when are we going to get customer services back in the uk 24/7.....

at the moment we have to deal with very bad and unskilled customer services in india, don't answer the phone or just put the phone down....it has now come to the point where i am thinking leaving virigin due to the substanded customer services...

Short answer, never

Long answer, they cost less and the average user without a technical background won't know that half the time the off-shore techs haven't got a clue what they are doing and basically read from a script that involves rebooting the router to try and fix it, welcome to the future of tech support, i work in a fairly large retail chain and all of our tech support is indian and literally all they do to resolve issues is reboot things

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately VM are really no better or worse than 99% of phoned customer service, the only people who treat you as if you have are brain are Amex Platinum customer service,

I have worked in IT for over 50 years and the very last option I take is to call VM customer service, I can run rings around neatly everyone I get on the phone. It old IT speak, "customer" and "service" are mutually exclusive terms where VM are concerned. Most of the problems probably lie with whoever wrote the scripts that they follow. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is simply a high turnover forever filtering staff for low costs reason for why India is picked.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Upton
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In my, opinion. Virgin are so big, like many of the very large companies, particularly utility companies, they do not care. One of the best companies STILL for customer service is John Lewis, Virgin could learn a lot from these.

0 Kudos
Parsloes
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had to use customer service today - and yes it went to India - but I got excellent service from the young lady & she was able to give me the information I needed.
0 Kudos