Menu
Hornbeem
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cable on the roof ?

so 2 installation dates have now come and gone the last one today, but this time when i rang up to get another installation date i was told i need to wait for a manager. as the cable is on the roof and due to health and safety reasons they are no longer allowed to go on roofs. so why sell me this service in the first place or i have just had bad luck with engineers ?

0 Kudos
Forgotten
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: cable on the roof ?

It's not that they cannot do it or provide the service it just is a little more tricky than 99% and i'm sure they don't come across it often, I'm sure they are having issues with "Health And Safety" as they engineers that they have to set this up for you don't have a necessary equipment to class it as "Safe" and therefore if anything did infact go wrong VM would be held responsible.

But even with that I don't see why they wouldn't be able to get the correct person for this while falling under the Health and Safety guidelines.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - How everyone in a technical field should think.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM do have some trained "heights" teams, but they are very few & far between.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For my installation I was promised by the VM site manager that he would order a ladder team because I needed the cables tucked away out of sight under the eaves.  It never happened, it was just another VM lie and as a result I have unsightly cable badly tacked all around my outside walls.  I've long since given up trying to get it rectified.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Hornbeem
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you all for the replys but unfortunatley things went downhill.I was told a manager would call me back in the next few days but nothing so i rang up to be told that my install date us now booked for april the 28th. so i asked why and it seems that no one i talk to can tell me anything of use which is a shame as i was looking forward to the service they "offer"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Standard installs are at ground level. If VM are following safe working practices (which obviously they should do) there's a pre install survey needed with someone qualified to do WAH risk assessments, a clatter of paper work, access equipment and suitably qualified installers to organise. The days of a bloke popping round with a long enough ladder are long gone (thank goodness)

Is there any reason you cant ask them to run a new cable in at the usual ground level? If not, from what Ive seen of similair specced jobs on here, April may well come and go with no install....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hornbeem,

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post. I can only apologise that you've had a less than perfect journey since joining so far. 

It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can. 

Checking the account it looks as though there were some construction issues as well as the issue with the cable needing to be repulled. The good news is the construction work is completed so it is now just waiting for the heights team. 

I can see a note on the account to advise if an earlier appointment does become available so if it does, we will contact you to re-arrange Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos