Menu
Superuser
Message 11 of 22 (177 Views)

Re: badges

As Ive said before (but everything in this thread has been said before)

Between selling in areas already suffering from overutilisation, 1st line support who consistently get it it wrong, bugs in firmware going un addressed (and un acknowledged in some cases) , badges seem small beer.

I post on here, I get "badges" and "kudos"- I use a gmail profile for my games on android devices and get a "gamer level" and  "achievements" , same on Xbox live, MOST other forums have some form of arbitrary ranking system- just do what I do and ignore it all.

You may as well get cross at Facebook for having likes. Its not going to change. Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22 (163 Views)

Hi all,

Can we keep this thread on topic please and be mindful of the forums guidelines one of which is:

• Be respectful and courteous of others. Respect the fact that everyone has different opinions and debates should be healthy and never offensive.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 13 of 22 (158 Views)

I think they should stop culling badges ... it's cruel!      Smiley Mad

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Community elder
Message 14 of 22 (136 Views)

Why has my post been removed?

Only saccharine posts allowed
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 15 of 22 (101 Views)

@Kippies Most social sites and games do have badges/achievements/accolades (however they are called.) If someone is so thin-skinned as to be offended/extremely offended by an automated badges/achievements/accolades system, then they need to do serious self-review and learn to be mature.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Community elder
Message 16 of 22 (88 Views)

Shelke wrote:

@Kippies Most social sites and games do have badges/achievements/accolades (however they are called.) If someone is so thin-skinned as to be offended/extremely offended by an automated badges/achievements/accolades system, then they need to do serious self-review and learn to be mature.

I wonder if this post will be removed for being offensive although, as is obvious, not everyone is treated the same on these forums.

Only saccharine posts allowed
Rising star
Message 17 of 22 (75 Views)

It is a sense of maturity (together with embarrassment) which identifies these 'badges' as extremely childish, plain silly and demeaning to the forum as a whole.

As is the attitude that they are not actually doing any harm so why bother attempting a bit of professionalism.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 18 of 22 (45 Views)

spell wrote:

It is a sense of maturity (together with embarrassment) which identifies these 'badges' as extremely childish, plain silly and demeaning to the forum as a whole.

As is the attitude that they are not actually doing any harm so why bother attempting a bit of professionalism.

Any bit of 'professionalism' from this apology for a company, would surely stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!!

As has been noted many times before, every time they attempt to 'improve' something, they actually end up making it WORSE than it was before, and that's saying something!!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 22 (30 Views)

vircom wrote:
I could not care less about badges either way. If some like them they are welcome to them. I assume the badge system is totally automated and needs little or no input now that it is set up. In fact it would probably require more resources to get rid of it.
[SEPH]: Badges are the concoction of a load of Yah-Ok social media types who have little concept of what needs to happen on a problem reporting forum such as this.  They like to think of making this a "fun place",  Idiotic and without proper rationale.

I understand that this is primarily intended as a customer self help forum, but agree that the input from Virgin staff is often very helpful and more would help compensate for those having problems with phone and live chat support, especially with the total lack of an email support option. However I think VM may not want to encourage this forum as a primary way of contacting them so are unlikely to provide more resources.
[SEPH]: When this forum was created in 2009, it was run as a second line support operation, replacing the Newsgroups technical support function.  The forums were primarily intended as a place for technical support, with an obvious hope that Community expertise would chip in.  @Horseman would confirm this; so would @APcyberax.   What VM have done is to totally destroy that (they have little concept of proper customer support) and have turned the forums over to the Social Media team.  2nd line support are no longer present on the Forums and the Forum Team are, to the best of my knowledge, drawn from first line support - albeit the better and brighter selection.  Of course they have lines into 2nd line support and have reasonable problem solving skills at a common denominator level.  VM have thinned out the Forum Team so that they can save money towards whatever purchases Liberty Global wish to make (F1?>).

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 22 (29 Views)

stevedh2 wrote:

hmm.. I'm pretty certain that removing badges wouldn't result in anyone's problems being resolved any faster.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But badges are symptomatic of the lack of VM focus on proper technical support.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos