Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 14 (147 Views)

aerial or not?

[ Edited ]
I have basic tv, broadband and phone with VM but I wish to stop the tv package. I do not wish to pay a fiver a month to keep the Tivo box. Now then my tv has a built in freebox but i understand i would need to buy a freeview box if I also wanted to record stuff... is this correct.? Also at present I have no aerial on the roof and have been told I would need one .. is this correct also? Im considering keeping VM for broadband and phone. I've had a quote to have an aerial fitted but just need clarification of whether it's needed or not?
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14 (144 Views)

Re: aerial or not?

LYNDAVIS wrote:
I have basic tv, broadband and phone with VM but I wish to stop the tv package. I do not wish to pay a fiver a month to keep the Tivo box. Now then my tv has a built in freebox but i understand i would need to buy a freeview box if I also wanted to record stuff... is this correct.? Also at present I have no aerial on the roof and have been told I would need one .. is this correct also? Im considering keeping VM for broadband and phone. I've had a quote to have an aerial fitted but just need clarification of whether it's needed or not?

Depends, see if your TV can pick anything up, although depending on where you live an aerial may be required, no idea with regards to recording stuff on freeview

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 3 of 14 (132 Views)

You will need an aerial as you won't get a good enough signal without.

It's probably cheaper to get a new freeview box with recorder built than a stand alone DVR.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 14 (128 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can use a set top aerial in strong signal areas, but even so, people moving about in the room can still cause problems.

A rooftop aerial in strong to moderate signal areas will cost around £80 - £120 for installation with standard brackets & a cable run. Look for a contractor that is CAI+ certified, as then you have a fairly good chance they know what they are doing.

If you get a Freeview recorder make sure it is Freeview HD compatible, & this will make sure it is future proofed if all transmissions are forced into MPEG4 format in a few years time.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 14 (125 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you are in an area that has good reception from your local TV transmitter and your TV s fairly modern it has a digital receiver built in and can be tuned in to Freeview, some TV's don't receive the HD channels so an extra box add on is required to get those channels.  Freeview recorders tune in to as well as record all terrestrial channels including HD channels and radio stations and are usually referred to as PVR's (personal video recorders) as well as receive but not record other channels from an internet connection eg  BBCIplayer Youtube  Netflix etc; although some channels require a subscription.  As well as allow you to add your own home videos downloaded MP4 videos and MP3 files in their own place on the PVR's hard drive.  Examples of fairly cheap refurbished  PVR's sometimes called DVR's (digital video recorders) can be bought on Ebay 

You might get good reception from an indoor aerial if not then an outdoor aerial is required and is usually the better of the two.  Also some relay transmitters don't carry all the channels that main transmitters carry.  Reception is a lot better than it used to be, with digital there is no ghosting on reception.

I'm using 5 PVRs st the moment and can now record up to ten freeview channels simultaneously, with only one outdoor aerial, fed through a splitter amplifier Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 6 of 14 (80 Views)

I think it is unnecessary.

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 14 (68 Views)

A decent free view hd recorder will cost YOU ABOUT 200. That is more than 3 years tivo rental fees. Add on 100 minimum for a new roof aeriel.

The other solution is free sat, with a freesat recorder, similar costs but if you are in a bad reception area for free view. ..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 14 (62 Views)

both correct. you need an aerial and will need a freeview recorder to record. you could also look at freesat boxes that use a dish not a aerial but you'd need one or the other installing.
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14 (57 Views)

A few of the advantages of a PVR over Tivo are that you own it, it's small and you can take it to any room or any house to playback your recordings you just need an HDMI or scart cable to connect to a TV and somewhere to plugin it's power supply.  The refurbished PVR's have been going up in price for some time now as they have become more popular and as for the £200 quoted you could previously have bought 4 refurbished PVR's.  The disadvantages are that it can be slow to respond when It's hard drive fills up, just like Tivo.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 14 (55 Views)

another disadvantage is when it fails you will be the one with the hand in your pocket for a replacement. so if they dont last you could be paying out more then you think.
0 Kudos